What's the difference with rom extensions (.z64,(U)_!,ect.)

Discussion in 'Project 64 Discussion' started by HI-TECH, Sep 13, 2006.

1. HI-TECH

HI-TECH New Member

Just wanted to know what is the importance of rom extensions and how they differ.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. DaStinger77

DaStinger77 New Member

the extension like .z64, .v64 etc dont make a difference they're all the same. The (U) in the filename means its a US version of the ROM. Other abbreviations in the file name have meanings as to Country, Release group, version etc.. There is a listing somewhere of what they all mean but I cant find it atm.
  4. TheCloudOfSmoke

TheCloudOfSmoke Menthol Flavored Junior Contributor Award Winner!

I guess the difference is like the difference bewtween .bin or .smd for Sega Genesis roms. I believe that the different extensions for N64 mean something more than just a different extension at the end. I've seen more hacks use the .v64 extension while more official good verified dumps have the .z64 extension. But the actual meaning behind the different extensions is beyone my knowledge.
  5. HI-TECH

HI-TECH New Member

If I changed the extension from .z64 to v64 would it change the file type or would it be the same all along
  6. TheCloudOfSmoke

TheCloudOfSmoke Menthol Flavored Junior Contributor Award Winner!

It wouldn't matter since the N64 emu (depending on what emu your'e using) already understands how to play all of the different file types of N64 roms no matter what extension you change it to. Just like if you change .jpg to .bmp. More popular image apps will open it up since it understands how to read both file types. If you did that and tried to open it up in an image app that only opens .bmp, the image wouldn't open up.
  7. Coolsvilleman

Coolsvilleman Emulation to the max! Junior Contributor

i believe back in the early days of n64 emualtion z64, v64 were two slightly different formats. not interchangeable. there was always a way to byteflip your rom to make loading faster. it may have had something to do with that.... may have not. eithier way nowadays it dosent matter which it is. Also (U)_! is given to a rom run through the goodtools. (U) means U.S.A. (E) means European and (J) means japanese. I don't believe there are any others. And the "!" means it was verified to be a know working rom with goodtools. If your rom was not dumped properly then it would most likely not have a "!".
  8. Allnatural

Allnatural No preservatives™

Download any version of GoodTools. There's always a file explaining the various codes.

The extension determines which device was used to dump the rom. It isn't of much importance to the end-user (any current emulator can handle all standard formats), but if you're really curious, more can be found here.