Which BIOS should I use?

Discussion in 'ePSXe Discussion' started by Perferati, Jun 2, 2002.

1. Perferati

Perferati New Member

I didn't know that it made a difference, but I found out that the bios I was using (sph1001) would not run strider 2....sph7502 DOES run strider 2 however...is this maybe why I can't seem to get Doom to run?

If anyone knows what difference the BIOS makes please let me know.

Thanks
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Kane

Kane 邪魔ゎ指せない Contributors

7502 is more compatible, but only a select few games have issues.
  4. Kellicros

Kellicros retired Contributors

sph1001/sph7502:
    Switch between them, select another if one doesn't work for you.
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2002
  5. Zephon

Zephon Key To The Universe Contributors

No big difference between them. Performance is not affected at all, and very rare cases requires a specific BIOS, the vast majority of games work perfectly with both of them.
  6. Kirby

Kirby Administrator Staff Member

Maybe I should try 1001 with Descent Maximum. See if it still freezes. It's not any of the plugins
  7. Prafull

Prafull Active Member

I never needed anything except scph 1001.

*May be in near future there wont be any need for bios.;)
  8. sxamiga

sxamiga Guest

The 7502 bios is reccomended by the Authors, themselves, as the most compatable. It will run some games that others won't.
    Prafull, no need for a bios soon? That wouldbe great because then Sony would finally leave us alone. Without the bios, Sony would have no reason to go after PSX emus any more.
    sincerely,
    sx/amiga
  9. Perferati

Perferati New Member

Well the way I see it, Sony shouldn't go after the emu's at all...I mean, its not like Bleem! where they were *charging* for their emu...even I think that is wrong.

ePSXe has actually influenced me to buy a few games that I wouldn't have bought without..simply because the emulator runs games better than the psx imho.
  10. Zephon

Zephon Key To The Universe Contributors

Hehe, it seems that the PCSX team is progressing well with the development of the internal hle bios emulation. great to hear that, prafull. :)
  11. sniff_381

sniff_381 †PeaceMaker†

I think BIOS are helpful... playing an emulator with an internal BIOS??? that's cool
  12. sxamiga

sxamiga Guest

Perferati, what you are saying makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, Sony chooses to over look the fact that they are selling more games due to emulation than they would otherwise. Instead, they choose to repeat the "tired" old argument that emulators are hurting PSX sales. That is why they won't leave emulators alone until nothing original (the bios is original from the PSX) is left in the emus. That is why Prafull's news is so great.
    sincerely,
    sx/amiga
  13. cwjakesteel

cwjakesteel Ultimate User

I don't know if it's the bios I'm using but I can't get Bomberman Party Edition to run well. It's patchy and freezy, and the sound is all scratchy. My PC specs are fine.

i7 quad core turbo boost up to 2.9
    8 GB Ram
    Geforece GTX 460M 1gb
  14. cloudbill

cloudbill ePSXe Veteran

Wow, reviving a nine year old thread. That's a record I think. To answer your question, the bios you dumped from your console is the best one to use.
  15. cwjakesteel

cwjakesteel Ultimate User

lol, maybe I should have waited to make the record even greater. Anwyays, I got it fixed by switching Emulators. Instead of using PCSX I use ePCXe. I use the 1001 BIOS.
  16. DaveTheMan1985

DaveTheMan1985 New Member

So 6 Years Later I guess there be lot of Changes
  17. acdbrn2000

acdbrn2000 New Member

Well there is a HLE (high level emulation) bios now for those who have issues dumping their own console (or those whose console died). It still is not a perfect solution and comes with some restrictions and lowered compatibility. Version 1.9.21 brought this (I think)

Aside from that 1001 amd 7502 are still the 2 PSX bios that have the highest compatibility for the odd game that does not work on the other ones.
    DaveTheMan1985 likes this.