Which PS2 is the best?

Discussion in 'Game/Console Discussion' started by Paratech, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Paratech

Paratech Active Member

I have enough money (gift cards) for either a "fat" or "slim" PS2. Gamestop wants $30 for the "fat" and $40 for the slim. I'm just interested in getting a PS2.

Hopefully I'll get one with a 1 year warranty, I'll "dump" the bios and when the PS2 "dies" I'll just stick with emulation on my PC.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. n_w95482

n_w95482 Gone Contributors

I'm not too familiar with the various slim models, but the fat ones are iffy, depending on the model (look for SCPH-39001 or higher). I have a 30001 myself, the DVD laser gave me a little trouble a few years back, but a small dose of additional voltage fixed it up. I got lucky with mine, I doubt very many 30001's are still running nowadays.

There's some fun stuff you can do with the fat models, like softmodding. Once you do that, it's pretty easy to dump the BIOS (here's two ways of doing it).
  4. General Plot

General Plot Familiar Face

Yeah, slim models have an improved laser stylus designed for longer life. Not to mention, if you mod the system for use with a swap magic disc, the slim model is extremely easy to mod for it, as it's just a matter of taping down two door buttons, as opposed to having to replace the entire top cover of a fat model. I've got a slim model that I've owned for 6 years now and not a day of trouble with it.:)
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  5. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Touka <3 Staff Member

Never buy a Fat PS2 from Gamestop, they will sell you one with a shoddy laser. If you don't care if it dies eventually just get a fat.

Or you can just softmod the ps2 slim and use open ps2 loader you can load games from usb or over the network or patch your backup discs to just load without any extra hassle.

My PS2 is 39001 and everything still works fine.
  6. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

The latest slims are better.
    Any v15 or more recent would be good, comes with updated software/bios and decent lens.
  7. Mad

Mad AKA snkmad

IIRC, my friend had an 120GB HDD installed inside his fat, and he loaded the games from there.
    It saved his DVD laser for a long time.
  8. Muscab

Muscab The Phantom

I wanna get a PS2 as well.
    I will prefer PS2 slim though.
  9. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Another vote goes to the slim model, just make sure its the latest model, earlier versions weren't so good. Another problem fat PS2's have in comparison with Slim models is reading double layered disks, so even considering the compatibility the newest type of slim is better.
  10. verboten999

verboten999 soshin

I'd vote for the slim. I had some problem with it in the past, but that was more because of my carelessness than a defect in the machine itself.
  11. n_w95482

I originally put an 80 GB drive in mine, but I've since replaced it with a 500. It's nowhere near full though.

Hmm, mine never had issues reading GT4, which I'm pretty sure is dual-layer. But yeah, if you just want to get a PS2 and not worry about it, a slim is a safer bet.
  12. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

The best PS2 and my favorite model is the almighty SCPH-39004/39001(also known as V9) you may ask why right???

- Best hardware so far
    - Best laser
    - Easy to mod
    - Easy to repair

Believe me i know every single PS2 model :)
  13. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Well probably not all have that problem but i do know that when Sakura Wars 5 launched there where very many complaints in this regards, that people with fatties couldn't handle it properly.
  14. Yeloazndevil

worked fine in my 39001 fat ps2, not all fat ps2s are ****ty
  15. Irukapooka

Irukapooka Tushy :3 Award Winner!

pS2 slim is much better even if you are paying just 10 bucks more. :)
  16. n_w95482

They probably just needed a laser voltage increase to read the second layer. It's pretty easy to do with them, you just take the PS2 apart, take out the drive, flip it over, and give the corresponding potentiometer a quarter-turn.

I got my 30001 in August 2001, it started giving me grief with GTA San Andreas in May 2005 or so. I did the above steps and it works as good as new, to this day. I've fixed another 30001 the same way, it was even older than mine (mine's a V4, I think the other one was a V3). Now THAT thing was a pain in the ass to take apart.

That reminds me, I have two PS2s in my closet that need various things fixed. One's a 30001 and one's a 39001. Maybe I should fix them up and do a contest here to give them away for free.
  17. ShadowPlayer

ShadowPlayer Shadow

I have slim SCPH 70004 which I got in 2004 and it still works flawlessly.
  18. Leiw

Leiw Perpetual Dualism

I personally like V9 and V10 best. Never had a single problem with those.
    And the V10 that I still own (SCPH 50004a PAL unit) works flawlessly.

But in your case I would go with the slim, just make sure it's a V14 or higher if possible.
  19. Paratech

Paratech Active Member

I purchased a (black) slim 75001 series. I also purchased a 2 year warranty for $8. I purchased 4 games on a buy two get two free promo, Justice League Heroes, Tekken 4, Full Metal (depression) Broken Angel, and Need for Speed Carbon. The games cost ~ $20 for all 4 games. (tax included)

The system works, so do the games, and all the games came with a box and documentation. I also snagged Third Birthday (PSP) and Back to the Future (Wii) so I doubt I'll get the Wii games I wanted at K-Mart.
  20. Yeloazndevil

I have a 320GB hdd in my ps2 since 2005 and I still have 21GB free

Good deal, too bad you missed the glitch for used ps2 games where it was buy 4 games get 20 games free and gamestop shipped them out for a lot of people.
  21. n_w95482

When I say my 500 is not very full, I really mean it :p.