Will we E-V-E-R get our old attachments/downloads back??

Discussion in 'Website-Related Feedback' started by blueshogun96, Dec 23, 2013.

1. blueshogun96

blueshogun96 Shadow of nothing... Staff Member Moderator Emu Author

I assume that by now, it's likely a useless thing to ask/address, but I want to bring this up one more time (in public, this time). Where the hell have all the attachments gone?? No seriously, what the f@#% happened? Numerous times I have come back to the forum searching for something I uploaded because I no longer have it in my possession (sometimes uploads of high importance and rarity), and they're all gone. Is there anyone who can shed some light on this? Did someone try to fix something that wasn't broken... AGAIN?!

We already had enough fucked up shit happen already. What's next?

Shogun.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Shendo

Shendo Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I've been wondering the same thing but kinda lost hope.
    All my stuff is available from other sources but it would be nice if attachments were to reappear.
  4. blueshogun96

I doubt CG really gives a fuck either. Would be nice to get an answer from them at the very least...

Shogun.
  5. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

A backup of the public attachments is available somewhere, but I dont think kirby was sent an archived this time.

Rushing, mixed with an absence of complaint spamming.
  6. blueshogun96

Okay, well, sorry for getting angry. It's just that it's rather frusterating. Being able to dig through an archive is better than nothing at all, I'll accept.

Shogun.
  7. BestCoder

BestCoder Member

Hi ,

How can we access to old attachments ?
  8. Shendo

There is no way. Crowdgather staff simply doesn't care for old attachments.
  9. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Administrator Staff Member

we're not even with crowdgather anymore and I think they simply lost/deleted the old attachments
  10. Taran

Taran Am I real?

I dont think its gonna happen :(. I got tired of all the Shader posts so i went as far as to actually put it in my sig. This might be one of the only ways other than repost to get links back.
  11. Hard core Rikki

I believe the attachments are safe, merging them back is just tricky because normally they should've been injected into their asociated posts before new attachments started getting uploaded. IDs have not been reset to 1 though and continue starting from the id of the latest attachment, so it should make it easier to manually reattach those to their associated posts.

Theoretically it should be the safest approach.
  12. Shendo

Oh. I've been out of it for a while... Who doesn't care for attachments then?
  13. Samor

Samor Foundry

if people are looking for certain attachments in particular, we could perhaps create a request thread and see if anyone saved anything to their HDD, or if perhaps we could retrieve some things via web.archive.org.
  14. Hard core Rikki

Downloading was limited to logged members so that's not an option, and not an alternative to restoring uploads.
  15. wyatt8740

wyatt8740 New Member

I'm sorry to bump, but I posted all of my save data on here ages ago, and my memory card recently failed. I really need my save data back...
    http://ngemu.com/threads/post-your-dolphin-saves-here.109772/page-17#post-1870448

I can even see the files here:
    https://web.archive.org/web/2010121...n/109772-post-your-dolphin-saves-here-17.html

But can't get to them ;_; PLEASE help me...
    *edit* making a new thread. this was necro'd. sorry.

But you have all of the old attachments, just not injected in, right?
    So my many hundreds of hours of work are not lost, right?
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  16. Samor

Samor Foundry

I guess one can restore attachments on his own posts (e.g., I still have a bunch of the pictures from threads like these, for example: http://ngemu.com/threads/paint-wars-another-one.87979/)

....probably not worth the effort, though ...but, possible.
    (p.s. that thread makes absolutely no sense without its pictures anyway... arguably still not with them back in)
  17. Shendo

I would love to see my old desktops in the desktop thread... It's noting crucial but I would be happy to see those.

What I find annoying is that no one from official staff made appearance here.
  18. Hard core Rikki

It is still technically possible. This could've been sorted out week 1 with the proper procedures.

The current saving grace is old attachments still exist, are available in the filesystem, have not been renamed or renumbered, and id numbering for the new uploads continued from the last, so files in the filesystem can still have their old attachment ids assigned as on vb and manually associated with posts (in batches to minimize mismatch collisions)
  19. wyatt8740

wyatt8740 New Member

I'm glad they still exist... I've found a copy of _some_ of my save data on a failing hard disk in my basement, but I'd still like to see the attachments re-connected to their posts.

So this is in the process of being restored, right?
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  20. Hard core Rikki

Sorry to disappoint.
  21. wyatt8740

wyatt8740 New Member

Okay. I no longer urgently need my save, but are they planned to be fixed eventually? or just sit there and do nothing?

And if I need something in the future, is there someone I can contact to get the file?