Windows 10 Discussion

Discussion in 'Software Discussion' started by DinJerr, Oct 7, 2014.

1. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

Is that a stand alone key or a upgrade to Win7??? i'm building a rig for my mom and she wants Win7 so that key would be great to have.
  2. Samor

Samor Foundry

It's an upgrade, but here's a trick: if you install it twice (upgrade unregistered upgrade) it should register just fine. There's also a registry hack to do the same. I'll pm you the code.
  3. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Administrator Staff Member

heh I remember doing this for win98se
  4. @ruantec

Awesome! thanks bro!
  5. Samor

Samor Foundry

6. resolutespider5

resolutespider5 I mustache you a queshtion

windows phone (or "Windows 10 Mobile" more properly) is really struggling with a low market share.

Nobody it seems can compete against Android. iOS still have a decent market share, but even that is slipping.
  7. Samor

Samor Foundry

I think the OS is coming along nicely again now on the phones (running the preview build that's likely to be the anniversary update).

The current release (10.0.10586, same as desktop) was a bit of a step back from Denim in some areas, but the anniversary update will probably make it the best Windows Phone version yet (my opinion).

However, especially on the phones the app availability is poor (it's much worse than on PC's). Perhaps the anniversary update will help as it will become even easier to use UWP; the Xbox App is a good showcase IMO.
    For basic functionality I prefer Windows on a phone over Android. The interface is cleaner and I personally think the live tiles work well.
    The touchscreen on the Lumia 535 is a bit rubbish but that's not the OS' fault, it's just a very cheap device; I'm impressed Win10 runs this good on it at all.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  8. resolutespider5

The Android interface is poor in my opinion. If windows phone can compete then it will be a positive direction for the industry. It doesn't seem to be at the moment, but i doubt MS will give up on it, and there may be a way to regain market share.

I think all (android, ios, win phone) need to improve on interface design, all this "just simplify things as much as possible, and it will be perfect" meme needs to die. I expect things will come full circle, and better ui will be in the future.
  9. @ruantec

My Android phone fell down today and the glass is broken.... i may go back to my 640XL for a short period of time and give it another try. As for UWP if you have W10 on the phone UWP is fully supported. Developers aren't simply interested in the OS because not many people use it and because devs are stupid enough to create proper applications eventhough they have the best tools for free to develop apps.

As i have said millions of times here Windows Phone OS is the best phone OS out there but sadly nobody cares. That alongside MS incapability to offer a proper design and the fools working over there that have absolutely no idea what the heck they are doing are the reason why the phone isn't more popular. Apart from that eventhough i will not go back to Windows Phone permanently ever again I still consider it the best phone experience when it comes to what a phone should do and what the OS should have.

Everything else is just the silly illusion iOS and Android has put on people.
  10. Samor

Samor Foundry

Well, if you're temporarily going back to it I'd suggest to try a preview version because they are much better than build 10586
  11. Thanakil

Thanakil NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

Two new lawsuits are being launched against Microsoft, regarding Windows 10.
    http://www.seattletimes.com/business/microsoft/microsoft-sued-over-windows-10-update-campaign/

In even shittier news, the Anniversary Update (cannot be opted out) will remove group policies, removing some more control from the user. You won't be able to make the same changes through registry keys anymore, either.
    http://www.ghacks.net/2016/07/28/microsoft-removes-policies-windows-10-pro/

Updates should be adding functions to your system... Not removing them.
  12. resolutespider5

13. @ruantec

It depends and that is the only part i don't agree when it comes to the move from MS. We live in a world were we can't trust people and where we all want to feel safe but we humans are hypocrites and believe the world turn around because of us. As a experienced tech guy i will for sure know how to deal with certain things and secure my system but a hell bunch of people out there don't have a clue. However, i don't want to spend the rest of my life having to care about those things but want to be safe but that can come to a cost at a certain degree.

I can build a bunker and have full automated guns prepared to turn any human that comes close into a bee's house(full of holes) just to feel safe but is that the solution? what if the goverment take measures that may not be what i probably want at a certain degree but provide security and benefits? this is exactly what is happening here. We just focus on how bad things are and bash everything without thinking at least for a second in benefits.

My 2 cents on the topic not expecting anyone to agree though.
  14. Thanakil

Thanakil NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

What are the benefits to making it impossible for me to disable the Lock Screen?
    Or removing my ability to stop third-party software to be installed by Microsoft on my system?

They didn't remove those features for safety, because they don't make us safer. But they did disable features that allowed us to block them from installing unwanted apps, that Microsoft want us to have for the sake of advertisement, on our computers.

So, we did think about it for at least 2 seconds. We don't benefit from this, unless you find a way in which the user has a better experience by having Candy Crush Saga reinstall itself on your PC, after you uninstalled it, because you can't force it off through policies anymore. This is actually a real thing that has happened.

Here's the real talk: Microsoft is turning into Apple. Look at the ways they change Windows, the renewed focus on the Apps, the removal of control. They're actually take pages out of the Apple book.
    They want to create an experience for you, that you will use and follow as they carefully crafted. But that's (once again) not what made Windows so great. What made it so great was being able to create our own experience.

If they wanted to do this so badly, why not make something new? Why change their current desktop OS in ways that are worse for experienced users?
    Edit: Since they're not removing it from every version of Windows, I also wonder what the logic is. But it does mean that people who want to keep using policies like these will need to upgrade to another version of Windows. Which sucks.
    Some people will update their Windows, and find out they need to upgrade to Enterprise to keep doing what they used to do.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    koko likes this.
  15. Samor

Samor Foundry

oh come on Microsoft, as long as you have things like this at the top of your Store...

2016-07-30.png
  16. Samor

Samor Foundry

@Thanakil The "Get Office" app is particularly annoying, keeps coming back if you uninstall it (if you don't have Office)... you need to turn off the notifications, that works but what if I just don't want that app?
  17. @ruantec

I installed the annyversary update yesterday and i like it. Extension support for the edge browser is awesome and something i was really looking forward to see how MS add such a support and i'm really impressed to see that extensions have to be installed from the store which means no stupid website or addware adds extensions to f*ck you up like it happened many times with Chrome. Windows defender have been improved and also the notifications are now better.

So far i really like it.
  18. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

My relationship with MS this days is pretty much filled with love and hate... I do love most of Windows 10 and so far its a great OS, but i do hate the forced updates.... and forced upgrades, if your with support and maintenance it will get on your nerves as well so many PC i had to fix because of the forced upgrades from 7 to 10 (granted i did make some money of it but it isn't right)...

@ruantec knows about this but i actually got a windows phone as well, a lumia 640 LTE (not long after i left). Simply put i love my Lumia, it took a bit to get the apps i wanted but except for the web browser (which IE still feels like the only choice but it does have its issues), its been the best phone experience i ever had, the Metro system works really great with phones, i really am impressed on how good it feels. And since i purchased it i never had to do a simple reset once (okay to be honest i did had to close it once to swap the SD card), let alone a factory reset which felt mandatory with an android after a period of use.... It still runs like day one the performance, speed and quality of this phone is unbelievable, i really do love it, but where the hell is my windows 10 upgrade ?

And finally my biggest let down... gaming, i was so excited when i saw them taking PC back into account again, but it was all just a big let down...

1st. The closed platform really sucks.
    2nd. The games where filled with issues and felt like really poor ports (GOW: Ultimate).
    3rd. And my biggest gripe i can't play them because they lock out dual core users! Well fuck you to microsoft! Forza Horizon is rigged to only start playing with quad cores, someone managed to hack there way around that, and guess what ? It works pretty good with a dual core as well, But guess what MS did ? They patched it up of course. I get that their sleazy objective is to create a market where lower ended users are stuck with Xbox Ones for gaming and only more beefy PC's are for PC gaming but as far as i'm concerned they can take there games and shove them up there arses...

/rant
    koko likes this.
  19. resolutespider5

I can't understand games that lock you to a minimum of 4 cpu threads. Unless they have some agreement with Intel or someone? I can't understand it otherwise. There are a number of games that do this.
  20. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Its a bit different then with Ubisoft's Far Cry 4 and EA's Dragon Age Inquisition though, in those cases they didn't properly took into account more powerful Dual Core CPU's and locked things up, but once the community unlocked them they didn't try to block it, and left things alone, but when finding a way to unlock it microsoft went right on it to disable it, you might want to say that its for protection but i honestly think that they want to push the Xbox One's for lower end gaming and have what they consider mid/higher ended pc players on board.