Windows 10 Discussion

Discussion in 'Software Discussion' started by DinJerr, Oct 7, 2014.

1. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

The thing is Microsoft want their own store and they are definitely going for it. While at it they want to unify everything which is a good and bad thing as you have better protection and other goodies but the downside is restrinction. For instance the way they solved the extensions for the Edge browser is in my opinion the best way to support extensions and stay safe. We can dissagree and say Chrome is the better one as is easier to get extensions and is open but in the other side you end up getting unwanted extensions now and then.

is a two edged sword that you may like or may not like sadly.
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  2. koko

koko ! Award Winner!

The anniversary update is 5GB...What the...?

Cortana now uses more RAM than ever; more than 60MB. 37MB before the update, even though I disabled it.
  3. Thanakil

Thanakil NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

Previously, Microsoft was under fire for not allowing users to open the folder, on their own PC, where Store apps were stored. You couldn't grant yourself permission to do this, which was incredibly strange.
    Eventually, they caved in and patched it so we could now open our own folders, which was great.
    Now they seem to be going back a bit on it. Apps from the store can be encrypted and no matter what your permission is, you won't be able to touch them. Previously the Store didn't offer any benefit against piracy, but this could be the first change toward that. The issue here is that this also breaks mods completely.
    Problem is that since games will still be on other stores too, users will still have access to a normal version. And there's not really any benefit for gamers to pick the encrypted version. So... Dunno.

Maybe this'll only really benefit small apps developers who don't want their apps to be modified at all, but be ignored for large games. There isn't really any point in offering a less attractive version of your game on the Store.
  4. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Personally i activated differ upgrades, my PC is been working great as it is and i don't want to risk it... I heard that for some ppl their install was messed up a bit...
  5. Strike105X

Yup the edge browser seems really safe :p :

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-attack-can-steal-your-username-password-and-other-logins/
  6. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Administrator Staff Member

"Based on our user research, we noticed most users who choose to go back to a previous version of Windows do it within the first several days. As such, we changed the setting to 10 days to free storage space used by previous copies."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/4vyifo/bug_windows_10_anniversary_update_tanked/

"There are very credible reports that the Anniversary Update is making entire volumes/drives invisible, prompting a reformat. The newest version of Win10 refuses to see some drives, identifying them as RAW, and prompting for an NTFS reformat."

yea....going to avoid it for now
  7. @ruantec

8. Strike105X

If the base is already screwed then the extensions don't even matter that much :p.
  9. @ruantec

Agree.
  10. koko

koko ! Award Winner!

Windows 10 AU aftermath:

- slower boot time
    - ruined DS4Windows (here's a quick fix)
    - Spec Ops crashes after launching it
  11. Strike105X

Ouch hope differ updates protects me from it...
  12. Thanakil

Not forever, sadly. Microsoft already said this update would be required for everyone, no matter what.
    I believe you may be able to find a third-party tool to disable updates completely, tho.
  13. Strike105X

Well i don't want it to protect me forever, just enough for the issues to be iron out, especially the DS4Windows one :p.
  14. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Administrator Staff Member

I have a win tablet with deferred upgrades enabled and its still on vanilla win10 it never installed 1511 :p

vanilla win10 messed up ds4windows/inputmapper, so did 1511, now 1607
  15. Silenus

Silenus Pilgrim Junior Contributor

Upgraded without issued yesterday.
  16. ElijahTW

ElijahTW NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

Can I now safely use automatic updates on Windows 7 without Microsoft shoving it's hairy dick Windows 10 down my throat?
  17. Thanakil

Supposedly, yes. The offer ended and the prompt shouldn't work anymore. Supposedly that even if the prompt shows up, clicking on it won't work.
    Microsoft said they would now roll updates removing the files from the system completely.

If you want, you can download "Never10" which blocks the update and has the ability to free up space on your HDD if Microsoft silently downloaded the installation files for Windows 10.
    But hey, don't worry. A year ago, Microsoft started updating Windows 7 by adding various telemetry services to the OS. So they get to collect info from everyone regardless of if they upgrade to Win10 or not.
  18. Samor

Samor CEO and Chief Editor of Samor Foundry

I like it too. It's the same build as on the Phone right now and I like that one as well. Actually I got it on my workplace before the machine at home (downloading it as we speak).
  19. Samor

no? Many publishers/devs don't really like those Mods because they lose control over their game.
  20. Samor

afterwards I cleaned up the Windows.old folder and on my work pc I actually ended up with more space on the disk than before.
    And no, work wasn't gone :p