Windows 10 Discussion

Discussion in 'Software Discussion' started by DinJerr, Oct 7, 2014.

1. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

Yeah, my wife is switching back from Android to Windows Phone again today so i will make sure to install it. It's interesting to see her wanting to go back to Windows Phone after using Android again.
  2. Thanakil

Thanakil NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

Yes, but then that requires selling on the Store, and studios that have published on the Store have confirmed that sales are horrible on it.
    Breaking compatibility with mods also means lower sales if your fanbase expects them. (For example, Bethesda would take a huge hit on PC if they did this. They already faced huge backlash for asking paid mods, imagine NO mods.)

Both things together mean that going exclusively with the Store isn't worth the benefit of encryption. That's why I imagine it will be more commonly used for small times developers/small apps (who don't face those issues) and less for AAA games (who largely benefit from mods, even if they don't allowing them to exist).
    Small developers will get more control and no backlash.

Overall, the benefits aren't big considering that Steam already allows them to sell millions of copies, with established customers, and there are already other ways to prevent mods if truly wanted. The Window Store might offer the nuclear solution to prevent mods, but at the cost of selling far less copies.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  3. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

*grumbles* I am getting sick and tired of Windows 10 telling me I am low on memory and to close out of programs even tho I still have over 50% of my 16gb ram free.
  4. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Administrator Staff Member

not really a specific issue with that on win10, as older versions of windows can have that errror also
  5. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

Never seen the problem on Windows 7 and this desktop. That was even back when I had 8gb of ram and not the 16gb that I have now. Upgraded the SSD and Ram at the same time. Went from a 128gb ssd running windows 7 to a 256gb ssd with a fresh install of Windows 10 . Also went from 8gb to the 16gb of ram I have.
  6. Yeloazndevil

I've seen it lots of times on my pc's when I was I was still using win7 I haven't seen it appear when I upgraded all of them to win10
  7. Yeloazndevil

well I tried updating to 1607 and I was stuck on a infinite load screen for nearly 2 hours so had to reset pc twice to make the installer restore the previous install

all I had attached were kb and mouse unplugged everything else that wasn't needed
  8. Samor

Samor Foundry

That sucks...
    I've upgraded 4 so far without problems,
    Couldn't upgrade the netbook as it doesn't have enough HDD space (32GB) so that will be a reinstall (perhaps there is a workaround I don't know of, but if 8GB phones can upgrade why can't 32GB netbooks?)
  9. @ruantec

I have seen the upgrade running on Lumia phones and is fantastic. I definitely have to give a try.
    Samor likes this.
  10. @ruantec

Wow! I updated my lumia 640xl with the latest version of windows 10 and is just awesome so far. I almost forgot how great this device and OS can be. It makes me want to go back right now.

I wrote this post using my phone :)
  11. Thanakil

I've upgrade to new versions of Win10 with less than 30gb free on my C partition, so that's a bit strange. If you have a Windows.old folder, you can delete it. It's only worth keeping it if you're planning to revert back to an older version of Windows. Removing it will free some space.
    When I have issues upgrading to a new version, I download the Windows 10 iso from Microsoft and put it on a USB key. I then use it to install Windows 10, it seems to avoid some of the upgrading issues I get if I try to do it from inside Windows itself.
  12. Yeloazndevil

I just updated my 32GB windows tablet to 1607 and it had 18GB free
  13. Samor

Samor Foundry

I don't think it had a Windows.old folder, I wonder what was up then (perhaps a 0x8001337 User Impatience Error :p).
    Oh well, in this case it was not a big issue for me (already wiped it).
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  14. Yeloazndevil

I was able to get 1607 to install today, but once I rebooted I got hit with a infinite black load screen with the spinning wheel and I had to revert to a previous install again. MS get your shit together you fucking idiots getting sick of this
  15. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

I had a bit of a fright as well when i saw "update and shutdown" but it turns out it was only a small update :p.
  16. @ruantec

All my machines updated 0 issues here.
  17. DarkSamus

DarkSamus PC game modder Award Winner!

Multiple machines updated to 10 here without issue.

Updated fine from Win 7 on my own machine, my GFs updated from Win 7 as well and my daughters 8.1 tablet updated to 10 without issue to.

Had to use external storage to update the my ex GFs 8.1 install.
    But once I got that sorted I had no problem
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  18. Yeloazndevil

I am not alone in 1607 issues everything I updated today (3 laptops) have been fine, but for 2 desktops its been a no go. I might need to revert intel sata drivers it might be the issue.

I just want the damn pos to work, win7 pro upgrade to win10 pro was fine, to 1511 fine, 1607 first time I had major issues with win10. I am too damn lazy to do a clean install and reinstall all my apps
  19. Thanakil

20. @ruantec

Awesome! so we will finally see Android on Lumia phones? :p