Windows 10 Discussion

Discussion in 'Software Discussion' started by DinJerr, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Saw this on PCSX2, lol:

2. Strike105X

So far after changing hardware and using the same windows i'm in the clear, windows is still activated, i wonder if it will keep the same even if i do a clean install.
  3. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Administrator Staff Member

It probably won't reactivate on a different mobo since it won't match on MS servers so you would need to call MS to activate win10 on a different mobo
  4. Strike105X

So i got great news, it seems that when i changed the Mobo and CPU and reloaded back in the same Windows, it automatically swapped the ids and now its registered to my new mobo :), had a clean install today and i didn't even had to provide my ms account it activated automatically when i connected to the Internet based on hardware ID, gotta give credit to them for this, its really awesome allowing me to upgrade and keep my license for 10. :)
  5. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

A BOMB WAS DROPPED!

This is some scary stuff MS is doing with Windows 10 in their latest preview build(video uploaded yesterday by MS). Not just is Windows running on a Qualcomm Snapdragon chip natively but it also has a built-in x86 emulator to run legacy apps and games. That's some scary but awesome stuff right there. Android and iOS may get some serious problems in the future. I smell "Surface Phone" with a full Windows 10 OS and x86 legacy apps and games support.......

that thought alone..... jesus....

GeominorAI likes this.
  6. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

Meh won't be seeing arm for gaming tho since the newer games won't run very well/fast on that x86 emulator/emulation layer. and good luck running some of the heavier emulators on said emulation as well. SNES/NES might run fine tho but dolphin/pcsx2/cemu would jut be a terrible experience on said arm SoC's.

It might run older games just fine tho but then you run into control issues there as they are made with keyboard and mouse in mind most of the time unless its a port of a console game. Don't know if a bluetooth based controller would work well on a windows 10 mobile device or not. Most of them are made with Android/iOS in mind.
  7. Silenus

Silenus Pilgrim Junior Contributor

Actually Dolphin is running some games on the shield tv. Although that's not a snapdragon chip. :p
  8. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

Color me sceptic bout Microsoft's push to ARM. The only way this could work is if apps made during the transition are or become UWP, and it's a tall tale.

An emulation layer is meant to get support for old/Intel chips completely abandoned, and could be dropped anytime without much warning (because of alleged 'compatibility issues' for example). A ton of legacy software would end shelfed for no reason but to purge the landscape of troublesome competing software from a past era. If the emulator or an equivalent isn't fully opensourced or doesnt have a ton of guarantees it will be maintained regardless of Microsoft's whim of the day, don't fall for that scam. Target specific platforms and use ecosystem's native apps as usual.
  9. Strike105X

I'm now skeptical of anything that has to do with phones from them now....
  10. Mikhail000

Mikhail000 New Member

Mine and Lasnap laptop nvs4200m performs ever so slightly faster than the shield running android, just a shame there isn't a emulated vulkan driver for it yet, cause we have no hope of nvidia ever supporting fermi on windows or linux only nouveau :-( intel will probably make a vulkan driver for their hdgraphics chipsets though, here's hoping.
    Older opengles 2.0 builds v4.0-4139??? that still worked of dolphin for android ran sunshine at about 16-20fps,
    ppsspp, uoYabause, reicast ran more or less the same speed as their windows builds.

Also steam / valve put out a directx to opengl wrapper called ToGL for linux some time ago, microsoft will probably being something similair for their arm chipset support rather than full blown directx.
    Google also has the software wrapper from swiftshader for dx9 and opengles 2.0
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  11. @ruantec

I guess you guys aren't getting the real message here and are completely confuse on why such a move is important regardless of the performance which btw seems to be top. We aren't talking about being able to play Titanfall or Emulators at full speed here as not even the native ARM versions are truely capable to deliver a experience like on PC. The greatness of this news goes far beyond that.

When it comes to emulation MS seems to have the best brains out there as their emulation software seems to be top at all times lately. Intel CPU are far supperior here but the GPU lacks a lot or power consumption is mostly higher. However, the real advantage here is the freedom to use different platforms and work in the enviroment you and I are used to but that's not even the biggest advantage here. ARM is without a doubt getting stronger over the time as well as being widely used in a variety of hardware. Sure we can't expect to play recent Windows AAA games on such devices but the improvement is there. The biggest advantage is the lower price in comparison to Intel based chips while offering similar or in many cases better performance while using low power.

The ultimate advantage here is that you can have a full OS without any kind of limitations in a device like a Phone. Of course thinking to play the latest games on a ARM based phone is a silly idea right now but with freedom developers could make some real good stuff here. I expressed my disappointment with Windows Phones not long ago here and I still am but MS have a team that even beats Apple in their own area from the way it looks and that's the Surface team. That team hasn't touched the Windows Phone as of yet but if they do i'm pretty sure something awesome will arrive. That combined with a full OS that can run Win32 applications is something hard to pass here.

Let's forget our negativity towards MS here for a chance and just think about the benefits that such move may bring to you, your wallet and to many talented coders out there as well as companies that may offer great and cheap products.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  12. Samor

Samor Foundry

Too bad all the current phones won't get that though. They're rebooting their phone business yet again (technically the same OS but looking at the product strategy it's the 4th or 5th WinMobile reboot).
  13. Silenus

Silenus Pilgrim Junior Contributor

Dolphin android supports Vulkan.
    @fivefeet8 has been testing a lot of emulators on the shield tv.

That was 2 months ago, so it might have gotten better.

I had some missing textures with the vulkan api on the Mario game but it was definitely faster than the other renderers.
  14. @ruantec

Here is the full reveal of Windows 10 on ARM. Pay attention at the end of the video as he clearly shows not just that the demo was done using the same hardware but he also pointed how it can be used on smartphones. I think is more than clear now that future phones may be full Windows computers in your pocket.

Sadly not and I highly doubt they will even consider it.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  15. Strike105X

Sorry but i just can't get excited after they failed me so hard with the Lumia, ironically most of the trouble started after the Windows 10 upgrade... How can i trust them for the future when they didn't even get basic features properly fixed now? Like syncing a damn contact list... Still, will see what the future holds, for the next 5 years though at least i will be returning to android, that's for sure...
  16. @ruantec

I'm not excited for any phone coming from MS and as you know i switched to Android myself after being a happy WP user. What i'm excited for are cheap phones and devices in the future that will have a full Windows 10 OS inside without any kind of restrinction because they will be Windows PCs in your pocket.
  17. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

Continuum may be a better solution than cramming win32 apps onto existing mobile OSes. WINE is coming to Android, that's why MS' attempt looks like it's going all in behind solving the wrong problem.

ARM may be the future but a compatibility layer could be more troublesome than simply including both an ARM and x86 chip in future devices. Nowadays most x86 chips selling already include a discrete ARM chip, so we were not far off from a solution. The only negative of keeping it bound to the presence of an x86 chip is that you can't cut off x86 down the road and have to stretch the production of x86 chips, whereas an abstraction layer like the kind MS is going for would allow them to kill it with just mandatory updates and early forced obsolescence.
  18. @ruantec

The software emulation seems to be really good for what it does and MS have really good people behind such technologies to ensure most if not every app/game run well. When i look at the game they show i can get a good idea at how good it works but at the same time we will see how far behind mobile chips are in comparison to real computers. Why is that great? plain and simple... companies will do their best to close the gap. Adding a x86 chip to the ARM makes no sense at all because you will have higher power consumption and size issues forcing companies to reduce the power of the already under-powered chips.
  19. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Administrator Staff Member

Microsoft is working on a 'Game Mode' for Windows 10 that will improve performance while playing games. According to WindowsCentral, this mode is featured in the recently leaked build 14997, although it isn't working yet, and will be available very soon to Insiders.

Microsoft is working on a brand new "Game Mode" feature for Windows 10 that will enhance the PC gaming experience by minimizing resources used by running apps to almost nothing and allocating freed up resources to the game, making it run faster, better and smoother overall.

This new feature was first spotted by WalkingCat in the recently leaked build 14997, and although it isn't working yet, we understand it's a feature that will be showing up for Insiders very soon, as it's something that's set to arrive with the Creators Update.

lol
  20. Khameleon

Khameleon My thoughts remain hidden

Does anyone know how to force a shutdown from the Power Button of a PC so it doesnt prompt to save files that are open etc. I used to be able to do this on Windows 7 and XP but on 10, it seems like it may need some configuration.