Windows 10 Discussion

Discussion in 'Software Discussion' started by DinJerr, Oct 7, 2014.

1. dpence

dpence New Member

they are changing the update thing... I've not noticed anything being slower on 10 versus 7....there are a few quirks with 10 (like them changing the whole wimm architecture causing the need for new wimm dll's for older games that use the system (especially gog stuff)) but for the most part, 7 and 10 are a lot alike and BOTH are infinitely better than 8/8.1...lol
  2. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Well one is doa 5 which feels more smooth on 7 vs 10, I presume it's because the pc port its based on the arcade version, which used Windows 7. The other is Titanfall 2, i dunno why but on 10 if i set textures to anything higher then low/medium i have horrible stuttering in mp, while on 7 it works fine maxed out with texture s on very high. As for the rest its as you said compatibility issues and bugs, for instance with dracu-riot its a lottery to enter Fullscreen properly on Windows 10, while it works without an issue on 7, silly stuff like that.
  3. Paratech

Paratech Active Member

Any suggestions for a cheap legit copy of Win 10 home?

MS just refused to let me transfer my license now that I have a 'new' motherboard. They won't even give me a discount. I don't know how long I can run my PC without having Windows Authorized.
  4. Thanakil

Thanakil NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

The customer support will typically "renew" your license once you tell them you changed hardware, so you can use it again.
    Once you have a working key, you can also use this to more easily re-activate Windows 10 in the future: http://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

Gray key sites resell W10 keys for very low prices, but they can be of shady origins.
    Allkeyshop shows the price can be as low as 10 USD. It shows a website I've used a few times before (Kinguin) selling it for 25USD.
    It's typically a good idea to go for a website that has a lot of reviews, and good reviews. Apparently psngames.org fills both criteria and has a good price: http://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/buy-windows-10-home-cd-key-compare-prices/
    psngames.org has the OEM version for 10$ or the full retail version for 20$. But I've never heard of them before, only going for them based on current reviews.
    https://psngames.org/downloads/microsoft-windows-10-home/

Other than that, if you can join the Windows Insider program, you get a free license. The catch is: the Insider program is used to test beta versions of Windows 10. They can be VERY buggy. You also need to update to newer beta builds every once in a while (maybe once every 2 months? not sure) or else Windows starts nagging you and shutting down randomly until you update.
    The good part is that you can, at the very least, stick to the "slow" update path. What this means is that you get the most stable of the beta builds, while the "fast" path has the newest/buggiest beta builds.

Or in the end, you can always pirate W10 and simply download an activator to fake having a legit W10.
  5. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

Pick the normal w10 claiming need for its assistive technologies. All free, no checks, no limitations, and once its associated to an MS account or motherboard its yours forever.
    It's a workaround to the ended free period Microsoft kept open deliberately for late upgraders.

https://www.howtogeek.com/265409/yo...-for-free-from-microsofts-accessibility-site/
  6. Samor

Samor Foundry

I have a license key left (used it for hyper-v but not anymore) but it's an upgrade license for win 8 pro... could that be of any use to you? I think you could still upgrade that to win10 with the media creation tool, but you might have to install win8 first. PM me if you want it ~ at least license keys aren't a bother to ship around the world ;-)
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  7. resolutespider5

resolutespider5 I mustache you a queshtion

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ch-you-receive-a-your-pc-uses-a-processor-tha

So now MS are blocking updates for pcs running Win 7/8.1 running ryzen or kirby lake.

1. You try to update Win 7/8.1 running ryzen or kirby lake.
    2. MS detects which processor is being used.
    3. If it's ryzen or kirby lake it will refuse to download updates to you, displaying "Your PC uses a processor that isn’t supported on this version of Windows" error.

I think it's all bit sad really. MS is so determined that you update to Win10 that it is imposing artificial limitation on the update system. So eventually you'll have to abandon Win 7/8.1, even if you think it's a superior system. Sad!
  8. Strike105X

^I read about it, isn't that suable in all honesty ? It shouldn't matter what cpu you have, if its still in the update period it should not be limited.
  9. DinJerr

DinJerr Meow Meow Meow Award Winner!

Can't blame MS, why should they be forced to write optimizations for old ass OS for every new chip that's churned out? Not even Android or Apple get flak for doing the same.
  10. dpence

dpence New Member

windows 7 doesn't get updates anymore... support was drops for users, only enterprise edition gets security fixes now...don't think it is JUST a PCU specific issue... most likely the os simply doesn't recognize the newer cpu so doesn't know how to address it.
  11. Strike105X

We're talking about security updates here not optimizations, they locked out any kind of update out for ryzen or kaby CPU's.
    I know that Windows 10 aint the evil everyone makes it out to be but i also get why some prefer not to move, also to be honest I don't like the direction ms has set for 10.
    I think security updates still are going to role out for a while not just for enterprise editions I'm not sure.
    resolutespider5 likes this.
  12. dpence

dpence New Member

yup you are correct... "Extended support for Windows 7 lasts until January 14, 2020."
  13. acdbrn2000

acdbrn2000 New Member

They don't have to optimize for the new CPUs. They are still x86-64 so they would just work. Now new codepaths like any new advanced SSE that is specific to those processors windows does not have to support. Or advanced features like new speed step tech. So MS could make those processors work better on win 10..... but the truth is they do currently work on win 7/8/8.1

Since both are x86-64 chips the os can address them and in fact they both do work on windows 7/8/8.1. The only difference is that my 4690k computer will continue to get security definition updates and other sundry updates while someone on a KL or Ryzen chip just gets as many security holes as they were not able to patch in time before Microsoft came up with a new move to try and increase win 10 adoption rates.
    Oh and btw EoL for win 8 is still a year off so there could be some legal trouble fpr someone who bought 8 expecting it to work for even just 1 more year on their new PC. Kinda like the lawsuits that happened when microsoft upgraded people's computers without their consent and suddenly buisnes software (like point of sales software) didn't work on people's computers.
  14. DinJerr

DinJerr Meow Meow Meow Award Winner!

Is wishful thinking, because then there'd be people and chipmakers themselves who start bitching about why the performance wasn't exactly up to par.
  15. acdbrn2000

acdbrn2000 New Member

To me it seems closer to bitching that your DirectX 12 GPU doesn't run up to par in a DirectX12 game because you are on Windows 7 that only supports DirectX 11.

Not to mention if you pair the CPU with sub optimal parts (ram, Motherboard, ect.) you will get Sub par performance. How is the OS any different?
  16. Samor

Samor Foundry

It was fun but my experimenting with WinPhone has ended; I sold my Lumia 535 as MS was going nowhere with supporting it.

I am on the lookout for a new tablet but it's not likely I'll choose Windows for that either, I don't think it's great for that... at least not for the way I use a tablet.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  17. Strike105X

I still have my 640, my mom likes it a lot, since with the titles configured right its easy to use. She doesn't really use it much for browsing either, for her it feels perfect :p. So at least i havent wasted the money :p.

PS: i wish the creator's update would launch already.... Want to try out 10 again but i'd rather have the instalation media update and all...
  18. Samor

Samor Foundry

Well, I don't feel like I wasted money really, it was fun to play around with it for a while, but quite done with it now. And I got a bit of return money on it too. :)
  19. Paratech

Paratech Active Member

All of a sudden my XBOX 360 controller won't work on my PC. I've tried 2 wired controllers and they both don't even show a light.

I tried to download a win 7 driver, but it says I have to uninstall the old driver first. I can't find the driver in device manager.

Did MS lock me out of my XBOX 360 wired controller?
  20. Strike105X

That shouldn't happen... and because my case ain't here i can't test it out myself... (i'm on 7 now on the FX4300 build).