Windows 10 Discussion

Discussion in 'Software Discussion' started by DinJerr, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Fully agree!
    Samor likes this.
  2. dpence

dpence New Member

I disagree... an upgrade is superior is most aspects, in most cases (not all)
    a fresh install means the long slog of reinstalling everything, going through all the settings to reset the system up to your liking, etc, which afterwards, negates the fresh install cause you've added back most of the reason you were doing a fresh install...as long as you keep your system in reasonable shape, an upgrade install saves time... I've not down a fresh install since XP (XP upgrade to 7 pro, 7 pro upgrade to 10 pro) and system is completely stable. I'd never recommend a fresh install over an upgrade unless the system was just completely hosed by an incompetent user
  3. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

I did a clean install of WIndows 10 when I went from my 128gb ssd to a 250gb ssd. Just tookt he old Windows 7 SSD oout and popped in the new one and installed WIndows 10 on it using the Windows 7 key and it activated just fine. Had to do a fresh install on my laptop of Windows 10 for a couple of reasons First was that the upgrade to WIndows 10 kept getting stuck at a certain point when trying to install Windows 10 pro over WIndows 7 Pro. another reason was that I accidently wiped the hdd and installed Linux when I thought I was installing Linux to a USB Thumbdrive which was my mistake so at that point I just said screw it and installed Windows 10 Pro using the Windows 7 Pro key on the Thinkpad T420. So yeah you MIGHT be forced to do a clean install at times depending on what happens with the Upgrade Proccess.
  4. koko

koko ! Award Winner!

Windows upgraded without issues here, but Nvidia GFE stopped working properly, I had to reinstall it.

Sooner or later I'll do an annual clean install anyways
  5. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

You'd probably be better off getting rid of it. IMO Shadowplay is its only saving grace, GFE is otherwise unnecessary for graphic settings and obtaining driver updates.

OBS can handle Shadowplay-style autorecording of gameplay, but now its even integrated in win10.
  6. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

I personally use GFE V2 with Moonlight to stream games to both my android devices like my phone and my laptop. I use a MOGA Pro Power Bluetooth controller with my android devices and both my phone and tablet can make use of the 5ghz band so bluetooth does NOT interfere with streaming the games.
  7. koko

koko ! Award Winner!

But why? I really like the UI and it isn't bloated :/
  8. Strike105X

While i hate GFE to no extent, i have to say that OBS isn't a good alternative to the shadowplay option offered in GFE, recordings aren't as smooth and there are various other issues, the NVEC option just can't take advantage of the hardware the same way shadowplay can.
  9. dpence

dpence New Member

isn't bloated???...lol it's like noton av...brings the system to a slog, is obtrusive with it's overlay icons, is buggy as all hell... GFE and the fact that the gtx 950 couldn't eve come close to matching y old r7 265 speed is why I got rid of nvidia
  10. Strike105X

Your confusing commodity with superiority. A clean install does indeed take longer but it also nullifies most risks of incompatibility, there's no bloat remaining on the hdd, from the previous system etc. Not to mention you have a clean slate which always feels refreshing. Not all upgrades have to end in failures of course, and people may not always have the time for clean installs, but its not about superiority but about commodity. You also could just not be affected even if your system does take a hit in response times, for someone like me who is very sensitive to how the system responds clean installs are a necessity.
    Computers are complex, each system is different do not blame it all on user error, while you might have been lucky to get away with it every time its not the same for all.

I'm sorry but you did something very wrong or got your hands on a very poorly build 950 if it couldn't match an r7 265, speaking of which while your making it sound like the R7 265 is much older then the 950 they are only one year apart, not only that but upgrading from the 265 to a 950 makes little sense in the first place...
  11. koko

koko ! Award Winner!

Why?
    I don't agree. It never slowed down my PC, I only noticed one bug or two... that's it.
  12. dpence

dpence New Member

dunno what one could do wrong, DDU to remove all amd drivers, install the evga gtx 950 with, at the time, latest NVidia install.. reboot...instantly system became sluggish and buggy.. even Firefox would get black space areas on screen.. epsxe was 10fps slower and chocked on games the r7 exceled at...ddu uninstall nvida stuff, put the r7 back in, install latest AMD drivers, system returns to fast normal operation, FF no longer has black areas, epsxe runs normally...I got the 950 cause people kept going on about how superior NVidia opengl was...
    Tis not the first time I have ran into the situation where supposedly superior NVidia was significantly worse
  13. dpence

dpence New Member

have you ran the same system with an AMD card?? without doing so you couldn't know the difference overall....I am comparing it from running an AMD card versus running the AMD card on the same system, same OS install... hours apart
  14. Strike105X

I hate to admit it (or better said it sad to admit it) but my 950 performed better in opengl then my RX480, with PCSX2 at least, its probably one of two things:

a. you got a defective card.
    b. issues with the drivers you installed.
    I on the other hand did and had no issue, sure GFE itself was annoying when opened, but otherwise it did not affect my system.
  15. u3L05 vh9jV

u3L05 vh9jV ...

Undoubtedly.

I have personally never seen / had a good experience regarding the upgrades.

Win10 have many know problems on many applications who depend of .NET Frameworks and Visual C++ Redistributable DLL's after a upgrade. The symptoms may appear after a few months, not necessarily instantly.
    Be the way. GFE is a .NET application, so draw your own conclusions.

The Maxwell GPU (GeForce 900 series) in general, is not exactly the best NVIDIA product:
    Why Nvidia's GTX 970 slows down...
    Lack of Async Compute on Maxwell...

And GTX 950 is "mid-range", and one of the most low GF 900 GPU's...

That sounds more like a hardware problem to me... the "black space areas" is very commune in defective hardware. But can be "normal" if you use the Classic Theme, NVIDIA give a shit to "retro users" =P
  16. Samor

Samor Foundry

Yup, you've got to check all the settings, that's the point :p
  17. Kellicros

Kellicros retired Contributors

Agreed, I have never do a fresh install for my upgrades unless my system has been clunky in the first place, I always tries to keep it bloat free.

But I do remember a special occasion, when MS decided to force upgrade my old Win7 Office PC to Win10 at the worst possible time, I tried to stop it, and that's when shit hits the fan.
  18. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Administrator Staff Member

I only do a fresh install when windows itself fucks up after a upgrade
  19. acdbrn2000

acdbrn2000 New Member

On my personal computer I do a fresh install every 6-12 Months. (The actual timing is more based on when I have enough free time and desire). The files are not really an issue since i religiously backup everything I want to keep to my NAS and very important things I put on a cloud server in case something goes horribly wrong (house fire, flood, ect.). As far as programs go I keep up to date installers for anything I really care about and can get online the current installers for anything else I want. My games are either on physical media (which I have easy access to) or an online store (which I can easily reinstall from) and the save game data is backed up on the NAS if I care about it.

My personal disposable devices (cheap windows tablet for example) and purpose built devices (TV box and retro builds) I backup anything I care about (very little mostly content consumption devices), but rarely reinstall unless there is an issue. Though they see far less use.

My work computer gets handled by IT and unless they want me to do something about it, I just leave it to them.