Windows 10: Microsoft's incompetence mirror

Discussion in 'Software Discussion' started by @ruantec, Mar 14, 2016.

1. ElijahTW

ElijahTW NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

Yeah, but if you want just a phone I'm pretty sure you can still pick up an old Motorola Razr flip phone or something. :p
  2. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

The lack of apps was never an issue because everything i wanted and needed was available and with Nokia behind many apps it was amazing. In fact i loved Windows Phone as an OS more than anything i had before. As we all know Nokia isn't involved anymore and the first sign are shown with the 640 XL as my display and the display of my wife's phone are fucked up. We are under warranty so i will let both devices get repaired and then i will sell them.

The real problem started this year as app quality started to get low and extremely buggy and updates are simply fucked up. For instance WhatsApp hangs when sending/getting a video, camera crashes and random things that simply doesn't work correctly. Lately it seemed like MS beta testing enviroment for every sort of crap and not the awesome enviroment it was not long ago with Denim. The other reason is my knowledge of the system and how much potential it has as in my opinion is still the best mobile OS out there that simply fail to provide the necessary experience. I just got depressed seeing that nothing will change and if it does then for the worst. Sadly enough the system is super locked down and i can't change it myself.

For some strange reasons MS have some super stupid morons working for the device and tasteless people. The prime example is MS launcher for Android as i showed on my rant. Those idiots have some taste to create good apps for Android but not for the device they are getting payed for which is sad. I can't understand how MS hire such people and keep them after seeing that their work is better done somewhere else then what they should improve.
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
  3. @ruantec

For my bank i use the browser as they have a mobile version that works excellent. For google maps i also used the browser version but they have some Nokia apps that works extremely well. For Torque OBDII there are one or two apps that works well but payed apps unlike Android.

There are alternatives just the lack of updates and support is what kills them.
  4. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

I am pretty sure samsung still makes simple sliders and flips that make use of todays technology such as LTE
  5. Mikhail000

Mikhail000 New Member

6. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

Best fix: If you got all updates, you might want to keep the machine physically disconnected from the internet.
    Handy if you got another computer and keep the old one for distraction-free productivity or gaming. It's this or Linux.
  7. @ruantec

It's useless to refuse the update at this point in time because support for older versions is going to stop and then the real issues starts the older it gets. Whatever we like it or hate it Win10 is here to stay and people either update or switch to another OS. At the moment you can get away without the update but in few years is not going to look good anymore so you will have to switch one way or another.

I understand and also criticise lots of the changes around Win10 but there is also a lot of negativity and bad propaganda around too making things look worse than what they actually are(my opinion).
  8. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

Noone ever complained about outdated XP machines back in the day. Those most responsive to the idea of updates are more likely to manage their own machines or be intelligent enough to use other OSes.
    A number of contacts who stuck with MS OSes since the earliest DOS versions NOPEd the frog out to Macbooks.
  9. Thanakil

Thanakil NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

I agree that Windows 10 is great, but Microsoft should be pushing people to upgrade by explaining to them the advantages of doing so. Not by underhanded practices.
    When a company is tricking you into an update you don't want, they make themselves hard to trust. This is another example of Microsoft thinking they know what you want better than you do, and trying to push you in a direction you don't want.
    This is why we don't like Microsoft getting involved in everything.
    Hard core Rikki likes this.
  10. @ruantec

MS seems to be following the trend to much.... Apple to be more specific.
  11. ElijahTW

That's a big Microsoft problem. I know you could give me some examples otherwise, but from what I see, for the most part Microsoft hasn't invented anything in a long time that felt like it was not a knockoff of another product. And usually it feels kind of half-assed, too.

Zune was just an iPod.
    A decent Windows Phone didn't come around until after iOS/Android.

Windows 8/10? See above. Windows with a mobile phone menu laid on top of it.

Hololens is just a different type of Google Glass/Oculus Rift type device. (Though probably the most original idea they've had..)

When is the last time Microsoft was first to anything? Always playing catch up - not a great marketing strategy IMO.
  12. ElijahTW

That's a big Microsoft problem. I know you could give me some examples otherwise, but from what I see, for the most part Microsoft hasn't invented anything in a long time that felt like it was not a knockoff of another product. And usually it feels kind of half-assed, too.

Zune was just an iPod.
    A decent Windows Phone didn't come around until after iOS/Android.

Hololens is just a different type of Google Glass/Oculus Rift type device. (Though probably the most original idea they've had..)

When is the last time Microsoft was first to anything? Always playing catch up - not a great marketing strategy IMO.
  13. ElijahTW

Zune was just an iPod.
    A decent Windows Phone didn't come around until after iOS/Android
    Hololens is just a different type of Google Glass/Oculus Rift. (Though probably the mosot
  14. Samor

Samor CEO and Chief Editor of Samor Foundry

I think Windows Phone/Mobile would've fared better if they had tried to make it backwards compatible like they did with normal Windows. Now they've rebooted it just a little too often (although most WP8 apps work on 10 just fine).
    I'm also a bit sad to see it on the backburner, they finally bring UWP to it and then they promptly stop giving it attention.
  15. cooliscool

cooliscool Super Moderator Staff Member

I rather like Windows 10... combined with a Samsung Evo 850 1TB SSD it literally boots in 2-3 seconds. I'm more of a fan of the interface than 8's, being much more like classic Windows, but still prefer 7's; that being said, the little additions to the interface are quite nice, and my laptop having a big 17" touchscreen suits it quite well. Too bad I'm afraid of smudges and scratches or I might actually use it. :p It's great fun for lightgun games.
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
  16. Samor

I'm running Win10 on the Lumia 535 again; the current build (not insider) is 10.0.10586.318. I'm thinking of experimenting a bit with UWP.

With the device recovery tool it's always possible to go back to Denim, should it be needed.
  17. @ruantec

When Win10 land on devices officially and the server gets updated you won't be able to go back to denim i think. If you need some tips or help on UWP feel free to ask me anytime bro ;)
  18. Samor

It's an official build now.
    The Windows Device Recovery Tool still reverts devices that originally shipped with Windows Phone 8 back to the latest version of Denim. It seems MS isn't intending to change that anytime soon, if at all.
  19. @ruantec

Oh, that's pretty cool :)
  20. Samor

Yeah, but performance is pretty good now with Win10, even on a low-spec device such as the 535.
    App compatibility is pretty good as well, most of the stuff that worked on Denim still works here.
  21. @ruantec

hmmmm gonna test it on my Lumia 640 XL and see how it works.
  22. Thanakil

Thanakil NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

I had been stuck on the same Insider version for a long time, as for some reason I wasn't receiving any update anymore. My Windows was getting buggier with time, and upgrading to a new Insider build would typically "reset" everything and removes those bugs accruing over time. I got the latest "stable" ISO from Microsoft's site, which was more recent than mine, and upgraded with it.
    And now Windows 10 is surprisingly sluggish and often crashes, telling me "Microsoft Windows has stopped working", giving me an "End Process" option that does nothing. Gotta reboot manually.

HELL YEAH