Windows 10: Microsoft's incompetence mirror

Discussion in 'Software Discussion' started by @ruantec, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

I'd say cleanly reinstall the latest stable. Unless you're running insider builds on a spare machine, the quirks aren't worth the trouble on your main machine.
  2. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

I would avoid any insider builds and only work with stable ones. I had some rough times in the past with insider builds of the desktop version but nothing compares to the insider builds of the mobile version.... that one is of another level of disaster.
  3. Samor

Samor CEO and Chief Editor of Samor Foundry

Now that there is a stable build I hope new Insider releases will be better too, but I'm a little hesistant to try.

I can run an Insider build of the desktop ver. on Hyper-V though, at least that's safe.
  4. GeominorAI

GeominorAI AI

5. Exos

Exos New Member

Yes we do have a choice it's either Linux or BSD
  6. @ruantec

As a developer who love both coding and design i really ask myself how in hell people get a job at MS this days. If i was in charge i would fire all those incompetent and tasteless fools. How in hell are you thinking to appeal to people when you have a mediocre design?

As probably one of the developers here with very deep knowledge in UWP, WPF, XAML and MVVM coding pattern i really can't understand why they are so fucking incompetent and can't even write a application that doesn't look and feel like a application designed by S.T.A.R.S? i mean... WTF is this? how do you want to make people use your software and technology you are preaching when in reality you have an idiot designing your apps?

Who the fuck is in charge of this horrendous design so that i can slap that person hard in the face and then clean my floor with its face? who? tell me who the fuck is that person so that i can kick it in the balls so hard that it won't ever try again to do that? i know that good core coders suck tremendously at design but this is beyond hope.

Check out this shit....the media player classic design kills this shit day and night design wise.
    desktop.jpg desktop2.jpg
  7. Hard core Rikki

At least it's not Edge... MS proclaimed years ago it would make the browser store-updatable and yet they pushed another Internet Explorer situation on us. That thing barely gets any updates, nevermind improvements to the crptastic user interface (hiding the address bar using a grey color never made any sense).

About Groove, design is the least of its limitations. Updates arent fixing glaring issues or dding valuable features, its mostly about the bundled web services and radio subscriptions, which aren't even available everywhere. Imagine your audio player remaining s limited in functions today as since the first w10 technical preview. The worst is its huge file/download size. Everytime it updates you're treated to huge list of f***ing nothing.

And it seems the store is extremely bad at handling updates and patches. For example, Gears of wars 4 requires 80 gigabytes of free space in order to install a 300 megabytes patch. Maybe this isnt even a recent issue but users never noticed because apps are relatively small and their updtes compressed when downloded.
  8. @ruantec

Edge recently got updates bro and also they added extension support eventhough extensions have to be acquired through the Windows store which kinda sucks but makes sense in another hand. Also i can confirm the 80GB download for the patch is no longer true and i have no idea if that was ever the case and probably a error. I got the patch recently and it downloaded 300+mb of data and it was done after that.
  9. Hard core Rikki

It never downloaded 80gb, only the 300mb. However the patch appears to be applied to duplicate of the installed game, then the updated version replaces the original.
    It makes sense only for small apps like Opera and Firefox, in order to minimize downtime and retain a working previous copy in case the updated version is broken. The performance impact on systems where the game is not installed on an SSD is huge.
  10. Mikhail000

Mikhail000 New Member

^ Reminds me of the continuing Winrar issuse where it uses a temp extraction file unless you click extract here.
  11. RedLion

RedLion Better be better than yesterday

HA HA. No. Especially if you are a gamer.
  12. u3L05 vh9jV

u3L05 vh9jV ...

Many games can run in *nix systems, even without official support.
  13. RedLion

RedLion Better be better than yesterday

^
    Resident Evil Games ? No.
    Batman Arkham games ? No.
    Konami Games ( MGS5, MGR ) ? No.
    And I can find a bunch of AAA games not supported by Linux. When more than 50% of the library of AAA games will be supported ( natively please, throw me WINE out ), we can discuss about Linux game support again.

PS: I won't enter in this debate as this is not the topic of the thread. So my last answer.
  14. laserjohn

laserjohn Aim 4 the stars...

Woah... that signature. "Time wasted". Man, logging into steam gives me the same feeling. "220 hours played". I cringe everytime I see how many days of my life I wasted on 3 keys and a mouse (CS:GO).
  15. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

So here are my final thoughts on windows 10 mobile:

first what i liked....

• Microsoft Edge is a big improvement over all browsers available for the windows 8.1 phone, its not perfect but it works a lot better.
    • You could search in the "all apps screen"
    • Replacing the annoying popin drop down menu while in lockscreen with the transparent music controls.
    • build in flashlight control, like seriously why was this not part of 8.1 ?

Now for what i hate:

1. resource and power management is a lot worse then with 8.1, with 8.1 the app you where working on was better prioritized so regardless of what i had running in the background i could for instance properly enjoy a movie without any stutters. On windows 10 this is not the case, i have to constantly be aware of what is running in the background and close them manually otherwise i will experience issues when viewing videos (stutters). As for power management with the exact same usage and settings for 8 hours as with my windows 8.1 install with 10 i end up with 20% less battery.
    2. The Bugs:
    • sometimes the player option dropdown music bar will dropdown even with the transparent music controls on screen.
    • can't put my favorite photos as live tile even though i tried every suggestion out there.
    • music apps stop playback when its supposed to jump to next song, regardless if i use jack headphones or listen it via the device speakers itself, music is one of the most important features for me and this is the main reason that made me drop it.
    • keyboard in Edge doesn't always work right.
    • paste in edge is bugged and mostly on Bulletin forums wont paste until several retries.

3.My last gripe is the lack of options and some of the visual choices which would have made it a step up from 8.1:
    • being able to choose how the dropdown music bar acts, if it should autmatically pop on the lockscreen or manually control it with the volume keys.
    • being able to choose if you want a music widget on the lockscreen.
    • i really hate the dinamic rescalling of an image when setting a background for the start screen, you should at least have an option for it to be static with no transformations applied.

It seems to me that they tried to hard to make 10 a new version for phones, when they got it right with 8.1, they should have just improved on that honestly, not screw everything up... Except for the poor browsing experience i honestly find the Lumia 640 as one of the best phones i ever used, for its price its ridiculous how well and stable it runs, personally for a while i will stick with 8.1 since it does everything i need, and if by the time i feel like a i need to be more up to date with my phone they do not improve on 10, well, with regret it means that this is going to be my first and last windows phone.
  16. @ruantec

They just have incompetent morons on charge or probably monkeys took over who knows... judging by what they throw recently on Windows Phones is like some serious monkeys are in the office.

Thinking twice about it i think "Monkeys" is an insult and i take it back. Monkeys are actually far better than that and quite intelligent.
  17. Strike105X

Well hopefully by the time i feel i actually need an update thing will get better, if not sadly i will have to let go MS phones. That said i plan to use it for a long time, with 8.1 its an amazing phone and i down right love it, also even Cortana works better on 8.1 lol.
  18. @ruantec

Yeah, Denim is awesome but part of that is because Nokia was in charge in many areas if i'm not mistaken and while the design was horrible they got tons of things right. Right now is really a pain for me to see the OS because i know all that awesome potential just waiting to be used but sadly enough i highly doubt is gonna get used at all, believe me... it hurts...
  19. Strike105X

To be honest i love the design of 8.1 it works nicely, its 10 where things start going wrong, well, i did see some UWP apps that looked pretty awesome, i am going to miss the CC Player Pro UWP app...
    @ruantec likes this.
  20. Strike105X

Its really cool i can access cortana on my windows phone 8.1 as well, that was the hardest thing to let go in 10 for me lol. I'm really loving her XD.
    @ruantec likes this.