Windows 7 and PCSX2

Discussion in 'PCSX2 Forum' started by Metherlance, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Metherlance

Metherlance New Member

If anyone's curious, PCSX2 Playground is working fine for me in Windows 7 - infact it's working quicker than it did in Vista. My test game was Persona 4 as I know I experienced huge fps drops when visiting the shopping district (down to as low as 30fps) - now it doesn't drop below 44fps in the shopping district and has so far kept it's 60 almost everywhere else.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. apparition47

apparition47 New Member

wow, who knew :p someone should do a systematic benchmark of xp vs vista vs 7.
  4. Squall-Leonhart

Squall-Leonhart NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

Windows 7 uses D2D to render its menu's and ****, rather then GDI+, its also further multithreaded then Vista is, and includes a new prethreading function which improves performance in multithreaded applications.
  5. Dbz32

Dbz32 New Member

Now I'll just install windows 7 in another HD.:thumb:
  6. makotech222

makotech222 The one and only

hmm i cant seem to get vm version to work, stupid memory thing. i unlocked it in the settings, but it cant get the memory value it neeeds :p
  7. netmars

netmars New Member

Try 0.9.5 beta rev377, its working for me in win7 x64, but any pcsx2 playground versions not...
  8. jp_zer0

jp_zer0 New Member

doesn't work for me, stops working immediately after the "bios" screen.

edit* this made me think and indeed, I had a bad bios, switched it and now it works fine.

BTW, for the memory thing, if you right click and **** around in the properties, it should work. I think it's the "run as administrator" setting that fixed things up.
  9. makotech222

makotech222 The one and only

yeah i fixed it. its cause i have 2 harddrives. my C drive, with windows, has all the virrual memory set to it. My D drive with my games had no virtual memory on it :)

oh and there didnt seem to be that big of a performance increase for me :(
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  10. Dbz32

Dbz32 New Member

Some games run faster, some others runs slower, i think... Better stick with vista for now... Gonna do some other tests, though. :drool:

Ps.: Saint Seiya - the hades : Same speed with vista, (actually it is even laggier on windows 7. :dead:)

Okay, good luck for anyone whose wanna try it out. :thumb:
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  11. drumstyx

drumstyx New Member

vista definitely runs games like ffxii faster, i'm on 7 right now, and ffxii runs at an average of 60fps, but slows down to even half speed at times vista never slowed down, at the same time it's such a disappointment to see the plugins and core of pcsx2 not work very well in linux, and i don't want vista on this machine, so i guess it's a console for me
  12. Darkplayer

Darkplayer Member

hmm i was thinking about installing Win 7 tonight, perhaps not? :(

It runs faste ron my laptop then Vista.
  13. Squall-Leonhart

ignore drumstyx, hes a noob ffs.

the RC runs much quicker then the Beta did, and DirectX 9 and 10 are better multithreaded for more performance.
  14. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

i can confirm that and D2D is something am analizing atm because am very interested on that part of Win7.

and i can confirm this part too... so i don´t see any reason to stick with vista... Squall has showed enough points were Win7 kicks Vista´s ass.
  15. Darkplayer

Darkplayer Member

Sounds nice enough then :) thx Squall and ruantec :)
  16. Squall-Leonhart

plus theres actual WDDM 1.1 drivers available now which does make a difference.
  17. sonic-x-

sonic-x- New Member

i do heard reports about what in win 7 the emu run more faster even what win xp and vista, i cant confirm this but i do see shots and run fast, if someone can do an tuturial about how run PCSX2 in the new win 7 will be great.

Salu2
  18. masta.g.86

masta.g.86 No sir, I don't like it. Award Winner!

The standard tutorial for running PCSX2 is fine. The only thing you need to be aware of is that you will need to update DirectX. (Yes, Windows 7 RC should be using the latest runtimes, but alas, it seems Microsoft forgot something :rolleyes:)
  19. Squall-Leonhart

nah they didn't. the added DirectX files are MDX which work with the .net framework. though they do improve the performance of some games that use them.