Windows recommended apps

Discussion in 'Software Discussion' started by Silenus, Jan 3, 2007.

1. P_RePTiLe

P_RePTiLe PReP - Lizard of Reason

That is very odd, since there are a bunch of wiki's on how to get the (supposedly better) font-rendering that windows has - in linux for instance.

Though that is probably more about taste i suppose.

As always, there are a great deal of choices to be made on linux for instance: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_Configuration
  2. nanaya

nanaya ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌

I'm not sure about Linux, I haven't used them extensively in this monitor. Any Linux distro I've tried hate my GPU (ATI!), I had better luck using my SiS IGP back then. >.>
  3. maurocds

maurocds Member

mandriva is very nice with ati drivers, i mean it comes with drivers and 3d ready
  4. maurocds

maurocds Member

teracopy, free, better for copy moving files than windows
    usb remove (paid), faster usb remove
    faststone, image viewer
    fast image viewer, image viewer using gpu power and ram
    gavotte ramdisk, creates ramdisk
  5. SCHUMI_4EVER

SCHUMI_4EVER Hackin 'n Slashin Staff Member Award Winner!

If you have Windows7 or Vista then Terracopy is no longer needed as the copy function of those two OSs has been vastly improved over XP.
  6. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Indeed same with USB Remove. Actually you don't even need to bother unless we're talking older OS's.
  7. maurocds

maurocds Member

nope you are wrong

usb remove is faster and you can remove all pendrives you have in one shot, and other useful stuff for me

teracopy is still better than windows, let say hmnmm. you are coping 4gb to someplace, then you want to copy another big file, then another, then another, well with teracopy you can make a queue, but in windows they are copied at the same time killing speed and the poor disk, it has other options useful for some power users
  8. TastEPlasma

TastEPlasma The Nexus of a Crisis, and The Origin of Storms

Umm, am I the only one that never "safely stops hardware" to remove usb pendrives?

Seriously, just let it finish accessing and then yank the damned thing out. I thought the whole point of USB was fast, no hassle connection and disconnect. Never had any corrupt or lost data yet.
  9. IDSG89

IDSG89 New Member

Totally agree with you man, never had any problem removing pendrives without "safely stop hardware"
  10. Samor

Samor Foundry

I usually try the "safe remove" first, but when it's being annoying, I just disconnect the usb device.
  11. Fadingz

Fadingz 代言人 Translator Junior Contributor Award Winner!

important files, safely remove.
    else, yank it!
  12. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

depends on which mode windows has it in. if it in quick removal mode i just yank it out never really tried the best performce mode for a usb stick tho. that mode is what my harddrives use.
  13. Strike105X

+1 for yank it out (that's what i said in the first post), that's why i said USB remover is useless,though safely remove in Vista/7 works faster then in XP.
  14. SCHUMI_4EVER

Flash sticks are always set to quick removal and get yanked by me but with my external HDD I always try safely remove first.
  15. gamefreak94

gamefreak94 Registered Anime Hater Translator Award Winner!

Regardless of whether it's needed or not, I always safely remove cuz it doesn't take more then 4 seconds (literally).
  16. Strike105X

External HDD is a different business...
  17. SCHUMI_4EVER

Just as a headsup to all us 64bit OS users out there stuck without the use of Unlocker, that's been changed with version 1.9.0.
    Full 64bit support. Just remember it has to be installed into Program Files, not Program Files x86 and not any other folder (at least the Crysis 64bit exe refused to work outside of Program Files).

And if Unlocking won't help get rid of that pesky file and taking ownership and giving admin rights etc won't work either there's always Killbox/Pocket Killbox which has the ability to delete files on bootup before any permissions can fuddle things up. It requires admin rights to launch (whilst you're in Windows setting up the file/s to be deleted on bootup).
    |MG| Pocket KillBox 2.0.0.978 Beta Download
    (linking to MajorGeeks rather than the official site since the official site may at first look fishy to some people. You can always get there by clicking the author's name)
  18. raksmey1309

raksmey1309 I m meow desu! ^_^

The must have list for me.
    MS Visual Studio 2010
    Turbo C++
    FireFox
    Kaspersky Internet Security 2011
    Windows 7
    Yahoo Messenger
    MIRC
    Tune Up Utilities 2010
    Winamp
    K-Lite Codec
    Badaboom
    Youtube Video Downloader
    Sony Ericsson PC suite
    Daemon Tool Lite
    Ultra ISO
    Ashapoo Burning Studio
    Power DVD
    MS office 2010
    PCSX2
    Utorrent
    that should cover the basic.
  19. Milanó

Milanó It's needle time

I always install TuneUp Utilities. It's a nice program with various features including a defragmenter, system cleaner, registry cleaner, optimization, among others. It's not free however, although there is a trial version for a month or so. After that time you decide what to do.

Basically it has a lot of windows functions in one package and it does it better.
  20. gamefreak94

gamefreak94 Registered Anime Hater Translator Award Winner!

IMO Win7's system tools are pretty good (heck even XP's were fine), no need for 3rd party packages.