Windows recommended apps

Discussion in 'Software Discussion' started by Silenus, Jan 3, 2007.

1. DB7

DB7 Miserable Bugger

I stopped using a separate firewall years ago. Windows Firewall does a good enough job, as does the one built into my router. I don't see the point in installing yet another.
  2. xsardas

xsardas New Member

I can agree with you about separate firewall because there are a lot of security suite applications with firewall build-in, and there no more need to mess with a numerous security app's. But personally I don't trust Windows firewall subconsciously :)
  3. xsardas

xsardas New Member

Didn't found security threat but want to warn all Windows users about .locky files ransomware that encrypts data using AES encryption and then demands 0.5 bitcoins to decrypt files. Locky is currently being distributed via email that contains Word document attachments with malicious macros.
  4. acdbrn2000

acdbrn2000 New Member

Honestly if:

You do not keep backups of all your important information somewhere other then on the computer you are backing up.

You open word files from anyone who you don't know in advance is sending you a word file. (Feel free to substitute any type of file here)

You have macro capability turned on when opening foreign (not made by the user him/herself) word documents.

You still use word when open office is free and far superior.

: then odds are you either do not care about the information on your computer or you kinda deserve whatever happens to you.

[Yes I understand this makes me a jerk, but honestly there is no computer security that help ppl who do not put in some effort (in learning or in practice).]
  5. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Here is a recomendation for anime and movie watching:

dmitriRender+madvr+MPC-HC

Its the best video experience i ever had, DmitriRender+madvr help improve the quality of videos and thanks to dmitrirender the video it outputs at 60FPS, the best part is that its just a simple filter which uses your gpu for calculations not the CPU, and it works flawlesly when combined with madvr. I've been using it to watch anime and movies at 60 FPS and the experience has been awesome. The only problem is the the licensing of dmitriRender which is currently limited to two windows installs only, after that you'll have to buy it again. But imho the benefits out weight the negative aspects.
  6. Samor

Samor Foundry

Kind of what a lot of Smart TV's do (the "sitcom" effect)? I can imagine it works well on anime.
  7. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Yup, i love it for anime XD.