Windows XP vs Windows 98

Discussion in 'Software Discussion' started by Ranger, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Ranger

Ranger New Member

I would like a few opinions on whats better XP or 98 I have a friend saying XP is awesome while my stepdad is saying 98 is way better and XP is crap, actually my stepdad thinks things microsoft is crap, he uses linux I think but anyway any suggestions.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. hushypushy

hushypushy <font color=#FFFFFF><b>the only one you've ever SE Contributors

XP is better in every way, IMO...but hey that's just me. i've had a few problems on XP compared to the millions of problems with 98.
  4. RZetlin

RZetlin General of Tangerines

Windows XP is much more stable than Windows 98.

When I press ctrl+alt+del in Windows XP, the whole system doesn't give me the blue screen of death like in Windows 98.

But there are some quirks in Windows XP that I don't like. Personally I think the utilities in Windows 98 is better than Windows XP. There's no winipconfig in Windows XP and the Windows XP "scandisk" is crap--it doesn't pick up all the errors like the Windows 98 scandisk.
  5. Valcrist

Valcrist Resident Mac User

XP is A TON more stable than 98 ever wanted to be. 98 is good for older games, but XP will play just about anything made in the past few years plus some old ones too. Plus lots of those older games have patches to run under XP.
  6. Vanit

Vanit Heretic Junior Contributor

I will personally slap anyone silly with a trout if they claim that Microsoft is a decent company. Sure their software is nice, but they just have to have everything their way in everything (remember mikerowsoft and lindows? - pfff). Moving on both Win98 and XP have ups and downs. If you really can't decide just go with both...
  7. Demigod

Demigod これはバタスです Moderator

Windows XP is superior to Windows 98 in just about every way. It has better stability, networking, and security. It's probably that your dad doesn't like some feature of XP, but when you come right down to it XP trumps 98 in everything.

I believe winipconfig is not required in Windows XP. Networking in 98 is a lot different than in NT and they both have different requirements. As for scandisk I agree that it's not as useful, but I don't really use it anyways. The only utility that I actually use nowadays is the disk defragmentor, and even that's rare (once a month or less).
  8. n_w95482

n_w95482 Gone Contributors

The only reasons why I would use Windows 98 are for DOS gaming (XP doesn't seem to run my DOS games well) and for nostalgia (BSOD's in particular) :p. I think Windows 98 is a little easier for me to use since I've been using it a lot longer than XP but that will probably change :).
  9. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Touka <3 Staff Member

well XP has no dos thats why it can't run dos games :p (and no msdos doesn't count :p)
  10. n_w95482

I thought it had some DOS functionality. I was able to install MechWarrior 2 (but not run it) and Descent 1 ran, although WAY too fast at the normal resolution (320x240 I think). Jacking up the resolution to 640x480 slowed it down to playable speeds :p.
  11. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Touka <3 Staff Member

only a few dos games run on winxp
  12. hellmasterx

hellmasterx He's watching you.

The only thing i don't like about win98 is that it frezzes too much compare to xp,but on the other hand is more fast that xp for slow computers like mine.
  13. n_w95482

When I ran Windows 98SE on VMWare, the memory usage was much lower than my XP installation (~130 megs with Win98 with mIRC running, currently 280 used with various programs running on XP). The bootup speed was quicker and the shutdown speed was awesome, about 3-4 seconds (running on an emulator mind you ;)). However, I prefer XP for its stability and features.
  14. Seta-San

Seta-San PCSX2ベータテスター

Do i detect a linux fanboy? or even better a mac fanboy? You can slap me around silly if you want because i think microsoft is not only a decent company i'll say it's great company. They make some of the best software in the world and you never have to deal with incompatibilities due to "branching". Open source is a pretty OK idea, but it's horrible when it's an operating system. Not only do you have to deal with branching but you also have to deal with almost daily builds being thrown in the mix. That all makes the OS pretty annoying do deal with on its own. Add in a few thousand different versions of XDesktop, and on top of that KDE/GNOME and you've got a real mess. It's almost impossible for two people to have the same configurations so everything has to be released in OpenSource because linux would be damned to let you run anything unless it has it's own version number on it. I'll give you a nice example of why microsoft's software is superior.

Installing drivers on linux? Pain in the ass. I tried to install some nVidia drivers, of coarse they had to be recompiled. So i had to get on my Mandrake Disc and install my kernel source... but mandrake stopped including the source in disc so i had to find and download it(took an hour or so). Then i had to install a bunch of useless software and make sure it's version numbers were what the FAQ with the installer said they should be(these are mostly libraries that the source for the compiler needs). After that i compiled the driver interface. Then run it from a pure command(had to exit X) and go through all the disclaimer bullshit. The drivers installed now, right? Yes and NO... You still have to climb over the Bullshit hill called VIM to edit the XDesktop config file to make sure it's set to use the driver. After all that you have to reenter X.. and pray to god that it works because if it didn't may god have mercy on your soul.

or

if you use the evil called windows...Double click on an icon, accept all the license junk, a few Yes' and Oks and a quick reboot and your own your way..

End rant of why i think windows is a good thing
  15. wise_evian

wise_evian New Member

speaking of which anybody know a good Dos emulator? Yes I agree linux is a pain in some of the easy places. I use linux and xp.. i use linux for my server mostly because the fact is Linux is just secure lol.
  16. chesso

chesso New Member

if you have 256 or more MB of RAM, go for xp...
  17. Metalmurphy

Metalmurphy Translator Translator

Go for both like me! I have Win98 and XP installed! Some games do run better in 98! Like Raven Shield and Ultima Online, and when some games hang WinXP closes them while Win98 just hangs for 1 minute than u can go back to the game!
  18. ector

ector Emu author Emu Author

Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 actually has a built-in DOS "emulator"/virtual environment, called the VDM (virtual dos machine, i believe). It's not perfect though. A little tool called VDMSound (google it) can help you get sound in a few DOS games that don't work otherwise.
  19. KillerShots

KillerShots War Games coder

I believe there's something on the Linux side called dosemu (or something similar). I got it to work pretty well, though I started panicking when it wanted me to configure an autoexec and config along with MSCDEX and such (I haven't touched that in AGES!)... so I didn't get CD-ROM support. Other than that, the apps seemed to run OK...

Oh, and for the guy who says XP is missing "winipconfig" - the name changed. It's now a command-line program called "ipconfig". You need to run it at the command line. Either look for help on it in Windows or type "ipconfig /?" to figure out how to use it.
  20. MaZa

MaZa !!!METAL UNCLE!!!

For slower and older computers, Win98 is better than XP. And newer computer otherway around.

And also, WinXP without SP1 pack is complete piece of crap. It fecks itself up after few months by screwing up the registry. (its the same problem that older versions of W2000 also had. It defrags itself broken). With SP1 and all patches, its an almost dream operating system with only few annoying things...
  21. Metalmurphy

Metalmurphy Translator Translator

Lol its a bit far away from dream operating system! a very big "bit"