xbox360 controller does not work in PSX emulator including epsxe

Discussion in 'ePSXe Discussion' started by tumba, Jan 23, 2010.

1. tumba

tumba New Member

Hi guys,

I followed instructions on this link How to get your XBOX 360 controller Fully Functional with epsxe - SnesOrama Emulation Community
    to install XBOX 360 controller driver for XBCD and XBCD driver. EPSXE and PCX both recognizes the controller but for some reason in the game (FF6) the controller does not work. No matter how many times I press F5, the buttons just don't register.

So I tried in Batman: Arkham Asylum, a pc game, and it works fine in there still.

Do you know what could be the problem here?

Thanks
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. whypowt

whypowt twentyninetyseven

configure the pad in epsxe>config>pad
  4. senselocke

senselocke Large nerd with blue hair

Odd, I just plugged it into Windows 7, and it loaded the drivers. I then set up all the buttons and it seemed to work. But I've run into a problem.

I've been working my way through FF8, and you need to hit R2+L2 to run away. On the 360 controller, the "triggers" I had set to L2 and R2 have "velocity", a range of movement picked up as the Z-axis. They do NOT work for the L2 and R2 buttons, I had to set those up as Z and X on the keyboard.

Anyone know how to get the 360 controller triggers to work with ePSXe? Or, for that matter, how to get rumble working? I'm working with Windows 7, BTW.
  5. whypowt

you can not assign analogue to digital in epsxe, so use 'joystickcursortool' to assign keyboard Z and X to the triggers, & assign Z and X to epsxe pad config.

....serves yourself right for using an xbox controller on a psx emu - sacrilege.
  6. KrossX

KrossX クロスエックス

Using the XBCD drivers, you'll be able to use both triggers without trouble.
  7. senselocke

what is "joystickcursortool", and where can I find it? Sorry to offend your Sony-Only-ness ;-P but I tried a couple of converters and they were duds. Plugged the 360 controller in on a whim, and it just worked. Plus, all my PS2 controllers are dying...

I thought I read in a post that if I use the XBCD drivers, I would lose functionality if I used the gamepad on normal games, is that not the case? And will either solution (joystickcursortool or XBCD) allow force feedback?

Also, thanks for the quick replies, it's appreciated.

EDIT: Found the JoystickCursorTool, and holy balls, it looks useful. Thanks for the tip, whypowt!
  8. CosmicBeing

CosmicBeing Silver Surfer

Hmmm. When I first got the computer I have now, (with Vista) I just plugged my XBox 360 controller in and windows recognized it immediately, no need to download anything.

If all else fails, you could use a program like Joy2Key. :)
  9. whypowt

i believe joy2key cannot map keys to an axis like JoystickCursorTool can. these tools will not affect rumble or loose functionality on other games.

i have an xbox1, but would never dream of using it's [or 360's] pad on anything else, it also annoys the hell out of me how micro$oft force its use on many pc games, thanks to xbox360emu 3.0 i can get past that though.
  10. CosmicBeing

CosmicBeing Silver Surfer

XPadder will map keys to an axis. It's not free, though. :(
  11. KrossX

KrossX クロスエックス

The problem is not the controller being unrecognized, is that both triggers share the same axis under DirectInput. So, when you press both, you get -Z & +Z = 0. Thus, makes you unable to use both triggers at the same time.

Xpadder has XInput support so it uses the trigger properly. The XBCD drivers gives proper DInput support (including Force Feedback) and profiles to customize it, but you lose XInput. This means, you'll lose "native" support on new games. You can just change drivers back if you want its Xinput support, so it's just a hassle with drivers.
  12. senselocke

KrossX-- You done it!

Thanks for the last post, very useful info. I didn't realize that using both triggers at once was considered the same axis. Had I been a bit more clever, I would have opened the controller config utility (Set Up a USB Game Controller) and seen that when both triggers are pulled, the "Z" axis shows centered as if I wasn't pressing anything.

However, since this is the only action in FF8 that requires two buttons pressed at once, I just mapped the triggers to the stick buttons, and the stick buttons to L2 & R2, and it works, standard driver and everything. Nice to know that any non-standard drivers or utilities aren't required to fix the "escape" problem.

Whypowt-- Yeah, that makes sense. I'm just happy that I didn't have to buy somthing, I already had the 360 controller laying around. I also have big hands, and find the PS2 controllers more uncomfortable to use.
  13. Squall-Leonhart

Squall-Leonhart NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

XBCD has several profiles for switching the functions of buttons and triggers.

Uh.... stop posting please, your making a fool of yourself.
    AXIS can be set on all of the digital buttons in epsxe, the problem comes when the triggers are on the SAME axis. again, xbcd comes with several predefined profiles to work around this.

regardless it'd be better to just set the triggers to digital buttons for most emulators.
  14. whypowt

yes, true i mixed it up - can't assign digital to analogue in epsxe, i speak off the top of my head mostly, instead of double checking it.

you have some fans that have missed you while you were away, with such affectionate words as 'where is that bipolar _____ anyway?' - seek and destroy, and have me banned while your at it if you wish.
  15. Squall-Leonhart

Squall-Leonhart NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

it takes only a few seconds to open up the emulator and check :p

nvm, no harm done. speaking of xbcd, i haven't checked if theres been any updates on x360ce lately....
  16. MitchManUSA

MitchManUSA New Member

I got your solution in the bag lol. ok i use xpadder and what it does it emulates the keyboard and so for that being i already maped out the buttons for it ill just simply give you the link and you can roll with Playstation exspirence. this program is very idoit proof believe me lol.

Xpadder link: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

remeber to not save over the controller layout save, save on the profile section at the right side of the program that shows paper icon for newer button setups

here's what it looks like Xpadder

[​IMG]

and here's where you can get it

Link: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service :thumb:
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  17. redlofredlof

redlofredlof troubleshooter Award Winner!

Just use Joy to key
  18. SnakeFist2005

SnakeFist2005 New Member

Ok i read this whole thread and it got me confused to say the least on what program to use lol. I'm am having the same problem with my wired madcatz 360 controller all i want to do is have the trigger buttons work like the L2 R2 on the old psx controllers. I hopefully don't want to use profiles for every game i have i just want the triggers to act like they do on the psx controller and then stay like that for what ever game i play ad not have to switch profiles. I am using ePSXe v 1.70 . The right thumb stick i will work out later as alot of games don't really use it from what i see except to move the camera around but would be nice to get that to work also but i just want the trigger buttons to work like they are ment to in psx games. Thanks for any reply that are helpful.