Xebra/Arbex Releases Thread

Discussion in 'Xebra/Arbex Discussion' started by Ilya-v, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Ilya-v

Ilya-v Member

READ THE FIRST POST !!!
    Its all there.

but for you here it is again:

How to Run CDs:

(1)File/Open/CD-ROM via SPTI, then select ANY file on the disk.
    (2)Run/Run 2 (1-pass) or press F5

People please try to read the manual or at least the first post in this thread.
  2. shinra358

shinra358 Member

Thanks. Wow, that's a weird/uncommon way to play a game. Is there no fix to get it to play the normal emulator way?
    Definitely think we should have game profiles for this now xD

I did this with all 3 Runs and it says "cd error" when I skip the intro story. When I just let the intro story finish, it says "cd error" afterwards. :???:
  3. Ilya-v

Ilya-v Member

The coder of this emulator is Japanese person that did this in his own time for research and fun.
    His goal was to emulate the hardware behavior, not make it user friendly.

You can be pretty sure there will be no further updates.
    So you'll have to learn to adapt yourself to Xebra.
    You have to use all its functions like in a real PS1,
    For example: Open Shell & Outer Card to emulate the actual behavior like in "Real Life". :D
    Again, all these functions are part of the real PS1 hardware behavior and its encoded into Xebra, so no automation here.

Still, this it the most compatible emulator yet.
    I hope Epsxe 1.8.0 will be at least this good or better in terms of compatibility and accuracy.
    I also hope that the Epsxe team at least read the Xebra homepage (although in Japanese) for reference.
  4. shinra358

shinra358 Member

I was talking about having to just load the iso the same way as all games. Not one way for one, and another way for another and so on and so forth. Game profiles (like project64 .rdb) would have been a great idea so that all games would flow easily (like a real ps1) instead of change this and change that for different games each time. I was bringing this forward because I thought ppl were still working on it.

I agree that this is a good emulator. I didn't know that the project was stopped already.
  5. AiureseRoasting

AiureseRoasting GET OVER HERE

not sure if this is the correct place for posting this but does Xebra or Arbex have high system requirements? and what are they? i cant seem to get Xebra or Arbex to load beyond the PS logo on my laptop.
  6. electricaltill

electricaltill New Member

Hi, can anyone explain to me how to convert a .cue into a xebratoc so I can have audio on games that use CDDA? I found hattori's explanation in the other thread but I couldn't understand it.

Edit: I mounted the .cue and it ran fine, thanks anyway.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  7. mistamontiel

mistamontiel ..!!

Xebra.. hm..

I ran MGS1 and get scratches pops and hiccups here and there.. even in the 320x240 window all defaults
  8. Damned536

Damned536 Member

I have this same problem unfortunately. This also seems to be a common issue in a few other games that have talking in them, the audio will sometimes popp, although always at the same spots and not at random. I also got quite a bit of audio popping in MGS at the Konami logo. MegaMan Legends 1/2 and Misadventures of Tron Bonne however seem to be fine as far as sound is concerned. Not a single popp in the tests I ran with them.

Ilya-v, I honestly doubt the new ePSXe will improve compatibility to the point where it equals XEBRA's compatibility. XEBRA will probably remain, for a very VERY long time, the most accurate solution for PS1 emulation. I am not even holding my breath for the newest version to even see the light of day until I actually see a downloadable file for it. Really, I would like to see a new emulator that focuses on the ease of use and simplicity of pSX and the accuracy of XEBRA.

Shinra, sadly it would seem as though XEBRA is now in Nestopia status. It's developer having dropped off the face of the Earth one random day, never to return.
  9. Ilya-v

Ilya-v Member

Real shame Dr. Hell abandoned his work.
    But I can understand him, he is a programmer and was doing it for the challenge and
    pleasure resulting this great emulator, nothing more.

I really hope ePSXe guys will update their emulator more often and get even better compatibility than Xebra.
  10. nachash

nachash New Member

I have a question, where is my memory card file? I thought that it was BU00/BU10 but even after formatting both of them I can't save cause I'm running out of space...
  11. AiureseRoasting

Ilya-v, when did Dr Hell announce that he abandon his work on Xebra and did he mention a reason or that it is a completed project to him? i see alot of activity on his forum but since its in japanese i can barely understand it... im really intrigued about Dr Hell, he's so mysterious and so unknown.
  12. Black Zero

Black Zero Member

Google translation is your friend :D

http://translate.google.se/translat...//drhell.1616bbs.com/bbs/topic_1.html&act=url

Anyway it's sad that this project seems dead. Yet again I came late to a party, started using XEBRA this year and absolutely love it.
    The most accurate PSX emulator I have ever used where all games working great.
  13. drhycodan

drhycodan New Member

Unfortunately, epsxe 1.8.0 still isn't as accurate as Xebra. The gallery in Einhander and Fear Effect 2 still does not work on epsxe. And about the cracklng sound in xebra, just set 3000 as the min, 5000 as the mid, and 8000 as the max. That should fix the popping sound in MGS.
  14. Ilya-v

Ilya-v Member

Yeah.

The big boys (professional programmers) just don't put their time and effort into small unprofitable projects like Emulation.
    I bet Dr.Hell did this for fun and he is a big company programmer like for Samsung Electronics or other Asian Mega Corporation.

I am glad that a "Tip of the Iceberg" of one man, can bring so much joy to many others.

Anyway, thank you Dr.Hell for this great hobby of yours. :thumb:
  15. AiureseRoasting

Hell is BACK, and this time with a new release!!! saw someone on the Dolphin forums mention it lol

XEBRA 130815 - http://drhell.web.fc2.com/ps1/xebra130815.zip

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CHANGES
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU: 'sub' instruction was fixed.
    MDEC DMA was fixed.

im just hoping he fixes that bug that makes it never remember what position it was on the screen once you reopen it
  16. KrossX

KrossX クロスエクス

17. AiureseRoasting

Damn! i thought id be the first to announce it here lol, someone really needs to update this thread's first post though, this page does come up as one of the first pages about Xebra/Arbex and reading this thread kinda makes it sound like the project died long ago lol
  18. Damned536

Damned536 Member

I hope this fixes the popping issue that happens when there is talking in some games like Metal Gear Solid.
  19. Aidenn

Aidenn New Member

Wow, that's great! Finally a new version. It works beautifully, just remember guys to delete old .ini file because settings are not compatible.

I just have one question though - does anyone know where the interpreter went? Not that anything's wrong with Xebra's recompiler, I just like to go as LLE as possible.

@Damned536,

Are you talking about crackling, breaking voices or about that occasional little low pop in the right channel that doesn't interrupt anything, it's just there?

Here's a dump of it - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/743494/MGS sound dump.mp3

Maaan, it's barely audible on my hi-fi headphones. I guess it's a problem if you have OCD, but you can definitely play the game with that. ;)

I suppose that on standard PC speakers it's not audible at all, that's why people kept saying that it works fine for them or when they said they fixed it they meant the terrible crackling that can happen with bad settings, slow CPU, Windows Aero or other windows (especially Firefox) underneath Xebra.

If I were to guess, it's because of audiovisual synchronization. ePSXe and other HLE emulators sync to 60 Hz and actually speed games up by 0.06 Hz. It's unnoticeable, but it makes synchronization on modern PCs a non-issue. Proper LLE emulators, like bsnes or Xebra (at least that's my theory), sync to 59.94 Hz, which will make games lose one frame here and there. Mind you, even if you force your display to report 59.94 Hz, most LCD panels are hardwired to work at 60 Hz (or at other frequencies defined when they are manufactured, but these are mostly common frequencies like 50 Hz, 24 Hz for movie playback or e.g. 100/120/48 Hz for 3D displays) and will physically ignore it, so you can't fix it that way. Add to that that most cheaper panels don't actually do even 60 Hz, they oscillate near that value and the worse the panel, the bigger the discrepancy and you won't fix this without buying a better monitor. Byuu programmed some advanced timing techniques to avoid this in later versions of bsnes (and now higan), but I don't think Xebra does anything like that. Thus, when it's time for the missing 0.06 Hz (or more) to rear its ugly face, games where sound relies on proper timing can also "pop" like this.

--edit--

Forgot to mention - sound cards also don't do exactly 44100 Hz (or whatever you set them to) and it's the same story - deviation in true frequency is bigger with cheap cards. In short - there are two elements which can make properly synchronized LLE emulation a pain in the ass - your monitor and your sound card. Emulators do timing according to expected values for both of these, but their real frequencies are not necessarily 100% correct. For HLE emulation it's not relevant, they just adapt like native games, but LLE is much more finicky.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  20. Damned536

Damned536 Member

It also happens at the Konami Logo too. It almost sounds like a galloping horse. Granted, I have not had the time to look at this new release, so I have no idea if the popping has been reduced somewhat. From what I can tell from that dump it seems that it has been slightly improved on from the last release.

I also would like to know where the run 1 option went. Apparently Crash Bandicoot 2 and 3 need it in order to play the bonus stages. It could be possible Dr. Hell just combined all three runs together or he got rid of the less accurate runs and is only using the more accurate one from now on.