ZeroGS - New GS Plugin

Discussion in 'PS2 Plugin Questions & Plugin Troubleshooting' started by zerofrog, Apr 2, 2006.

1. zerofrog

zerofrog Emu author

ZeroGS is a new GS plugin (version 0.93 in the release installer). Overall, compat is roughly the same as gsdx. It supports anti-aliasing and fullscreen. Also some games look better and are faster in it, some aren't.

The graphics card requirements are much higher. For best performance (although not required), make sure to have a GeForce 6600+ (maybe 6200) or ATI X1000+. Less powerful graphics cards work, but sometimes, on rare occasions, scenes will look wrong. Minimum requirements are ps2.0.

ZeroGS does most of its processing on the graphics card, hence the higher requirements because of decryption of GS formats etc. The disadvantage is that it won't work on ps1.4 or below, use gsdx for that and don't ask for ps1.4 support. (gsdx mostly uses the Cpu for its processing, so doesn't need heavy graphics requirements).

interlacing issues - try toggling F5 (some games look better with it off)
    video capture - currently doesn't work

Anyway, this thread is to post any graphics issues, suggestions with ZeroGS. I'll try to fix asap and will post news about new releases here. Keep in mind, most games are broken because of the emu, not the GS. Make sure to:

-state the game
    - exact way of reproducing the bug
    - your video card
    - gsLog.txt

Edit by bositman: Added v0.97 (non SSE2) and v0.97.1 (SSE2) in this post for download (they are both in the same archive)

Enjoy!
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2008
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. guildenstern

guildenstern New Member

I am getting good speed with the zeroGS plugin. ( about 2-3x performance increase over the standard GSdx9). however with games like FFXII, where the GSdx9 works just fine ( except the flickering on and off ), the zero GS locks on FFxII as soon as i tell it to enter the game. also, all the visuals appear interlaced ( during Fmvs ( once you pass the initial menu/ intro to the game ). the GSdx9 plugin seems to be able to go much further into the game. ( too bad its so slow though )

my config has all the fancy stuff turned off ( like multi threading, and im not using SSe2, because it seems to make games work somewhat better. )

im not sure if this helps at all, but thought id post this anyway.
  4. Skarlath

Skarlath New Member

Is anyone noticing a slight bouncyness to this plugin? It seems as if its shaking up and down a bit each frame. Other than that though, its a great plugin, getting up to about 30fps in Mushihime sama during gameplay, and only dropping to 10 in the intense scenes (even the normal ps2's lag there). Was wondering if anyone knew how to make the bouncing stop.
  5. freestart

freestart New Member

yes for me too :cry:
  6. B3FF04

B3FF04 Win32.Pinfi

I'd buy a new PS2 whenever I get money for it rather than going for a new videocard supporting PS 2.0 costing the same or more money ;P
    Anyway its good a new plugin popped in gsdx9 sorta got dead or something
  7. zerofrog

zerofrog Emu author

With ZeroGS, press F5 to toggle the interlacing. You might have turned it off on accident, so you get bouncing like gsdx. Press F6 to toggle AntiAliasing. If it is off, games go faster.

GeForce 5000 series are known to have problems... there is no support for them for the time being. However, if there are graphics issues with GeForce6000+ or ATI X1000+ cards, you can bug me until it's fixed
  8. jesusrp

jesusrp pcsx2 fan!

Burnout revenge

Hello Zerofrog,

Thanks for this great plugin. I´ve been testing several games with it and looks really well, just tell you (in order to be helpful) that when running Burnout Revenge with your plugin the emulator exits, hs doesn´t happen by using gsdx. This would help you to find bugs.

Athlon XP 3200
    NVIDIA 6600GT
    1Gb RAM

The emulator config is in the doc file.
  9. Haru

Haru Anime Fan

Hi Zero

At first thanks for this great plugin. :thumb:

It's very good looking and "fast" on my machine.

And I wanted to ask why the resolution doesn't change when I go to full screen mode?

Is the resolution fixed? When yes why?

I asked this because it looks not so good @ 1280x1024 (TFT).

Thanks in advance for your answer.

spec:
    AMD64 Newcastle 3200+
    x800xt 500/500
    1Gb Ram

I added a pic for better understanding and a spotlight on pcsx2 :D (free for all).
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  10. refraction

refraction PCSX2 Coder Contributors Award Winner!

jesusrp, you are wasting your time.

for one i dont know why you posted a shot of visual studio, you should know that kinda thing isnt supported here.

secondly burnout revenge doesnt work even if zerogs didnt crash so you're wasting your time ;)
  11. zerofrog

zerofrog Emu author

jesusrp, the game title is enough. I will test and make sure it works next release.
    haru, would it be better to have the same resolution that your desktop is currently using? I don't think it'll affect speed at all since it is just stretching and I want to avoid having too many options.

thanks,
  12. Blu Gruv

Blu Gruv "DJ Extraordinare"

So I've finally been able to get the emulator up and running well.
    I've been having most of the same issues with things in FFX that everyone else has. The menus are running swell, >45 FPS, but the intro sequence runs quite slow, the most I've achieved is about 1.8 FPS? But it does look phenomenal, I must say. Swell swell work guys. :)

Specs:
    Well, my GFX card I believe plays a major role in my speed issues, I'm running a GeForceFX 5600XT. I know you mentioned the 5000 line isn't supported, but I came up with some peculiar happenings while running the emu with it. Pretty much everything would run correctly but at a much slower pace. And also, I don't believe my card has any kind of Pixel Shader 2.0 support, but it runs that setting with the GSDX9 plug like it's nothing and also I have no problems running ZeroGS with it (except for a slight speed decrease beyond what GSDX9 was giving me.) I don't know exactly what contributes to it, but nevertheless things aren't moving too fast. I'm looking to upgrade my card soon, though, probably an ATI card for a change. Would any of you recommend an ATI over an nVidia chipset, one way or the other?
  13. jesusrp

jesusrp pcsx2 fan!

I just tried to be helpful and give as much relevant data as possible, just to help Zerofrog to identify the bug, nothing else. And maybe any of theese screenshots would give him the clue. I was trying nothing but help him.
  14. cyclonmaster

cyclonmaster EmuAddict-_-;;

As I see zeroGS requirement is high(Geforce 6XXX/ATI X1XXX). can it being optimize with SSE3? Also, no source code available yet?
  15. Traxxx

Traxxx New Member

I´m sure you already know it but I´ll post in any case nobody told you yet ;)
    FSAA doesnt like videos X)
  16. Mad

Mad AKA snkmad

I have a Geforce 6200. And im getting this error:
    GS ERROR: Device doesn't support alpha blending for 16bit floating point targets.
    Quality will reduce.
  17. Fduch

Fduch New Member

You got him wrong.
    Look closely: it's just DEBUGGING of the pcsx2 crash. It was not colpiled by him. So I guess it has to be supported since it's OFFICIAL build.
  18. Vampirexx

Vampirexx Shinobi

Hi pals!
    PCSX2 team it's very cool!!
    :cool:

I guess keeping going on to develop such emulator must be a hard work!:???:

But I have just a thing to complain... why you haven't implemented a GS graphic plugin to play with pixel shader 1.4?

There are so many users who cannot upgrade their pc, then in my opinion it would great let the player choose if he want use powerful advanced plugin or a standard one like that.

Thanx anyone
  19. General Plot

General Plot Familiar Face

GSDX9 is able to use PS 1.4, just configure it to do so.;)
  20. magiceyes118

magiceyes118 New Member

zerofrog i was testing mostly 2d beat em ups and found one strange instance of when trying street fighter anniversary edition with sf3 third strike and when using direct 3d mode using gdsx. It shows the beginning textures i.e choose wat game then some text about saving to mem card then u cant see anything but i can hear the game. So i tired it in software mode and it showed everything, the zerogs does not work, so wat is it about the software mode in the gdsx plugin so that it shows all of the textures if i choose direct3d everything is black and i can hear the game running?
  21. zerofrog

zerofrog Emu author

what's your video card?